Cat 5 to Cat6 no diff in speed!

I was having a mess around with gigabit ethernet last night, as I need to increase the throughput from my desktop PC to my media centre PC.

I used two old D-Link 1000Base-SX cards, and made a 15m fibre patch lead to run between the two machines.

Using NETCPS from a ramdisk to cut out hard drive bottlenecks I was able to reach a maximum of 400Mbit

The D-Links are old cards but I was quite dissapointed with the speed really, I would like to retest using a couple of 64Bit cards when time allows.

Your mixing of CAT6 and CAT5e components wont matter at all, it will only perform at 100MHz and certify as CAT5e, but should be fine for 1000Base-T as others have already said.

Sponsored Links
100mbit = approx. 12.5MB/s
1000mbit = approx.125MB/s

I may have misunderstood what you meant here, but it looks like you're talking about a throughput of 125 megabytes per second?

At 8 bits in a byte 1000 megabits per second is 125 megabytes per second. I don't see how it could go any faster. In fact I can't see how you achieve an actual data throughput that fast because of the overheads in the ethernet and IP protocols.

100mbit = approx. 12.5MB/s
1000mbit = approx.125MB/s

I may have misunderstood what you meant here, but it looks like you're talking about a throughput of 125 megabytes per second?

At 8 bits in a byte 1000 megabits per second is 125 megabytes per second. I don't see how it could go any faster. In fact I can't see how you achieve an actual data throughput that fast because of the overheads in the ethernet and IP protocols.

Oh i know that mate, it is theoratical max i think i quoted. But it would have been nice to see around 40MB/s or higher. Not exactly the same.
But since reading the other posts its apparent that my bottleck is my nas.

Sponsored Links
Been thinking....... if i put windows home server onto a new build with gigabit lan port, that should theoretically improve my speed as all the data will reside on the WHS pc and as its built around server 2003 it should a far better throughput than my nas box.

I'm not entirely sure that it will, but in theory i would have thought it to be correct,

Any comments on this?

Back