Country
United Kingdom
Customer has requested:-
1 PC socket
2 Telephone socket
3 Aerial socket
In each room any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Is the house newbuild? or is this retrofit?

My personal preference would be to fit hubs for each service in a closet / wardrobe / loft, and run all the wires from each room back to the central point.

I would use a PABX for the phones, this way each room can have a phone plugged in and working, and extensions assigned to each room.

Then have a broadband router and ethernet hub/s to supply broadband and home networking to every room.

For TV, it depends what TV services they want in every room, and how the house is layed out. If its just terrestrial freeview, a simple home booster/distributer will be fine, but you might need something more complex for Sky/Cable signals / IR commands.

personally in preference to a hub, I'd use a switch (intelligent hub) instead.

Sponsored Links
Fettler said:
Customer has requested:-
1 PC socket
2 Telephone socket
3 Aerial socket
In each room any suggestions??

Depending on the complete requirements, I would look at wireless solutions, which provide far greater flexibility.

I have installed a 108Mb wireless hub and run two machines streaming audio at the same time without any problems.

In addition I have installed wireless transmitters for the Sky TV

These work fine and dont interfere with each other, the only problem you might get is if someone turns on a microwave, as this will affect the signal.

need to supply Sat TV and normal/ digital TV , Computer points, and phones to each room with capability for hd tv throughout house.....8 rooms

Hope this reply isn't too late.

I am doing something similar to a house I have just bought at the moment.

I am running AT LEAST 4 runs of Cat 5e to each room (8 to key locations). You would be amazed at how versatile this cable is. It can be used for almost any purpose. By using Baluns you can transmit audio and video over it. I will be using it mainly for network connections (yes I have wireless at the moment but you can't beat a decent cable ;) )

Personally however I am also running lengths of component cable to each location for visual and speaker wire for audio. (Make sure it is good cable though).

All this will run back to a central location. In this location I will have all the sources (2 x Sky Boxes, DVD player, Media PC, and all the amps needed etc). which all run through a Matrix Switcher (something like the neothings) . This will also the user to view any source in any room using a couple of decent RF remote controls.

For HD what about running HDMI/DVI cables throughout.

This multiroom stuff isn't cheap when yuo get into it and I am doing it the relatively cheap way. If they want wall mounted controls etc. 15k is easily spent. You could easily spend thousands on cable alone. As for why they want 3 x TV sockets???

Co-ax is appalling. I have put one run to each room just in case all else fails but there is really no need to be using it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back