Cat 5 query please help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cat 5 running from a router to a central point in a new office. From this point 3 other cat 5 cables meet from 3 separate cat 5 sockets. My question is how would one go about connecting all the points? Could you put a switch there to send the signal to each point? I hope that makes sense! I know in an ideal world u would have 3 cat 5 cables running all the way back to the router but ynfortunatly this hasn't been done and the customer wants me to connect it up! Thanks for your help. Chris

Sponsored Links
That's a fairly standard way to do it.

All the network in traffic in the office can go via the switch at full speed, being bottle necked only to the router.

Remember though that the internet access from the router will be (usually) fairly slow (8mbps typically), and so all the PC's sharing a single cable to his will make no odds at all and will in no way affect the speed.

If there are other computers connected to the router, then network traffic would be bottle necked, but in a small office you would not notice this at all.

Make sure the switch is managed, unmanaged (dumb) switches are not much use in high traffic conditions. Also don't get a cheap one, although I have a cheap one in the workshop and its fine, I have had some cheap ones which need constantly restarting.

The netgear switch will be fine. Also consider TP Link I use TP Link products all the time and very very rarely get customers complaining about problems with them.

Sponsored Links
I would also question if they are likely to want any more network points in the near future. That way maybe an 8 port switch or even a 16 port.

Is there also a need for a small comms cabinet and patch panel?

I’ve always used Netgear switches and always found them to be fine. I wouldn’t worry about a managed switch personally.

I was talking Netgear prosafe switches rather than a broadband router.

Can go years without a restart.

Routers are a different ball game.

Indeed, but I've had other routers which were a lot more stable - maybe there's something not quite right with Netgear's competence or attitude.

Indeed, but I've had other routers which were a lot more stable - maybe there's something not quite right with Netgear's competence or attitude.

:rolleyes:

Funny how Virgin decided that their Super Hub product rolled out to 3 million houses odd should be made by....... net Gear.

I've always used Net Gear and they have always been very good on both telephone line and direct cable net service. Only thing I couldn't work was time of day service restrictions (to stops the kids accessing after 10pm when younger), but that was likely user error.

BAS what didn't you like?

So when I said "maybe there's something not quite right with Netgear's competence or attitude", and Chri5 tried (I assume) to defend them by pointing out that Virgin chose them for their Superhub, you replied that "Actually the Superhub is a complete pile of ****".

i.e. not exactly in agreement with his position that I couldn't be correct in my suggestion because of the Virgin choice.

But in direct reply to "maybe there's something not quite right with Netgear's competence or attitude" you posted " :rolleyes: ".

Just what's going on in that head of yours?

So when I said "maybe there's something not quite right with Netgear's competence or attitude", and Chri5 tried (I assume) to defend them by pointing out that Virgin chose them for their Superhub, you replied that "Actually the Superhub is a complete pile of ****".

i.e. not exactly in agreement with his position that I couldn't be correct in my suggestion because of the Virgin choice.

But in direct reply to "maybe there's something not quite right with Netgear's competence or attitude" you posted " :rolleyes: ".

Just what's going on in that head of yours?

What's going on in yours? You're going around posting inane comments and then analysing every word said in response.

In case the concept escapes you, the consumer and business ranges of Netgear products are totally different and in no way comparable.

What's going on in yours? You're going around posting inane comments and then analysing every word said in response.
This is not an inane comment - it is a FACT:
My Netgear broadband router suffers frequent hangs, and needs restarting.

This is not an inane comment - it is a FACT:
I've had other routers which were a lot more stable

This is not an inane comment - it is a reasonable concern to have:
maybe there's something not quite right with Netgear's competence or attitude.

In case the concept escapes you, the consumer and business ranges of Netgear products are totally different and in no way comparable.
In case the concept escapes you, it is indeed possible for a company to have common values and attitudes which are shared across all of its business divisions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back