Cat 5 query please help!!

Reality doesn't quite work that way.

And it's quite clear you're behaving this way because others are daring to question your abilities in other threads. Stop acting like a child.

Sponsored Links
In an ideal world you would connect the ends of all the cat5 cables to a patch panel in a cabinet. Then you would connect these via patch cables to a switch.

But just connecting the ends to a switch is fine.

What sort of switch depends on what plans there are to expand, current budget and is there anyone competant to look after the equipment.

If there are no immediate plans to expand then a 5 or 8 port switch will be fine. If expansion is probably maybe a 16 or 24 port switch.

If there is nobody with proper networking skills available to look after the equipment then there is no point in paying extra for a managed switch. The extra functionality will not be used.
If there is someone competent they should be able to specify a switch for you!!!

Which brand of switch? Any really, all manufacturers produce a duff device every now and then. Though I have found TP-Link equipment to be both cheap and reliable.

Also, is this purely to allow a number of devices to connect to the internet or do the devices want to talk to each other. How old are the devices?

You may be ok with just a 100MB switch if just using the internet, but I would pay the extra for a 1GB one, especially if the devices are new (last few years) and they want to be able to communicate with each other as they are probably 1GB compatible.

Hope that helps.

Indeed, but I've had other routers which were a lot more stable - maybe there's something not quite right with Netgear's competence or attitude.

:rolleyes:

Funny how Virgin decided that their Super Hub product rolled out to 3 million houses odd should be made by....... net Gear.

Actually the Superhub is a complete pile of ****.

I had a Motorola modem and netgear router but I have now been upgraded to a superhub because the old modem was not compatible with the recently upgraded upload speed.

So my question what's wrong with the superhub?

Andy

Indeed, but I've had other routers which were a lot more stable - maybe there's something not quite right with Netgear's competence or attitude.

:rolleyes:

Funny how Virgin decided that their Super Hub product rolled out to 3 million houses odd should be made by....... net Gear.

Actually the Superhub is a complete pile of ****.

I had a Motorola modem and netgear router but I have now been upgraded to a superhub because the old modem was not compatible with the recently upgraded upload speed.

So my question what's wrong with the superhub?

Andy

Severe stability issues, among other things.

They compete with BT's Homehub for being crap.

Sponsored Links
Which reality?

The reality that I DO have a Netgear router and it IS a bit wonky and it IS more wonky than others I have had?

The reality which says that MAYBE as a company Netgear have a less than ideal attitude to quality?

And it's quite clear you're behaving this way because others are daring to question your abilities in other threads. Stop acting like a child.
Stop making the mistaken assumption that other people are as pathetic as you.

Which reality?

The reality that I DO have a Netgear router and it IS a bit wonky and it IS more wonky than others I have had?

The reality which says that MAYBE as a company Netgear have a less than ideal attitude to quality?

That's not what I was saying, but you'll pick any post apart to twist the words to your way of thinking.

Stop making the mistaken assumption that other people are as pathetic as you.

I'm not. I am, however, blocking you, seeing as you don't contribute to threads in a useful manner any more.

Bas, we know we all love you but why does your inadequate equipment make you "so money supermarket"

The art of being right, 38 ways to put your arguement

1.The Extension
2.The Homonymy
3.Generalize Your Opponent's Specific Statements
4.Conceal Your Game
5.False Propositions
6.Postulate What Has to Be Proved
7.Yield Admissions Through Questions
8.Make Your Opponent Angry
9.Questions in Detouring Order
10.Take Advantage of the Nay-Sayer
11.Generalize Admissions of Specific Cases
12.Choose Metaphors Favourable to Your Proposition
13.Agree to Reject the Counter-Proposition
14.Claim Victory Despite Defeat
15.Use Seemingly Absurd Propositions
16.Arguments Ad Hominem
17.Defense Through Subtle Distinction
18.Interrupt, Break, Divert the Dispute
19.Generalize the Matter, Then Argue Against it
20.Draw Conclusions Yourself
21.Meet Him With a Counter-Argument as Bad as His
22.Petitio principii
23.Make Him Exaggerate His Statement
24.State a False Syllogism
25.Find One Instance to the Contrary
26.Turn the Tables
27.Anger Indicates a Weak Point
28.Persuade the Audience, Not the Opponent
29.Diversion
30.Appeal to Authority Rather Than Reason
31.This Is Beyond Me
32.Put His Thesis into Some Odious Category
33.It Applies in Theory, but Not in Practice
34.Don't Let Him Off the Hook
35.Will Is More Effective Than Insight
36.Bewilder Your opponent by Mere Bombast
37.A Faulty Proof Refutes His Whole Position
38.Become Personal, Insulting, Rude

Bas, we know we all love you but why does your inadequate equipment make you "so money supermarket"

The art of being right, 38 ways to put your arguement

That's really fascinating.
I'd never heard of this before, but so much of the 38 item synopsis covers the techniques I've seen here and also endured at work. Fascinating...and also a bit depressing :( .

ICTRich: I’ve always used Netgear switches and always found them to be fine.

Me: My Netgear broadband router suffers frequent hangs, and needs restarting.

ICTRich: I was talking Netgear prosafe switches rather than a broadband router. Can go years without a restart. Routers are a different ball game.

Me: Indeed, but I've had other routers which were a lot more stable - maybe there's something not quite right with Netgear's competence or attitude.

Now come on - be honest - what was senseless, unimaginative, empty or unintelligent about that exchange? For that's what Monkeh said it was, at least on my side, and that's why he justified replying with a :rolleyes: to "My Netgear broadband router suffers frequent hangs, and needs restarting. I've had other routers which were a lot more stable - maybe there's something not quite right with Netgear's competence or attitude" whilst at the same time telling Chri5 that actually the Virgin Superhub is a complete pile of **** when he said that there can't be anything intrinsically wrong with Netgear because Virgin chose them to provide their Superhub...

It was when I asked Monkeh to explain that dichotomy that he said my comments were inane, and when I pointed out that most of them were statements of unassailable fact he said that reality doesn't work that way.

And so on.

So we've gone from me attempting to be helpful by saying that I've been less than impressed with Netgear and maybe "Netgear will be fine" isn't cast-iron advice to being accused of inanity, of somehow ignoring or trying to contravene reality (Monkeh wouldn't explain what he meant), and then when I dared to challenge the accusation of inanity being told that I was childishly transferring grievances from other threads.

And I'm the one at fault for not contributing to threads in a useful manner?

We have gone adrift a bit though BAS.

Im happy to use Netgear switches, they are cost effective and have always been reliable to me and Ive used them in business, schools and peoples homes. Im not talking the white home products, I’m talking the prosafe business intended ones.

The OP never mentioned broadband routers, other than they already have one. Just how to connect the Cat5 cable.

So we were talking switches not routers.

Two very separate things.

So how your router performs is kind of irrelevant to this post. If it was a netgear switch that you have experience of, then it would have been relevant to the OP.

How about Cisco? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It may have been irrelevant, it may not.

It was an observation that from my experience Netgear are not necessarily a company who deserve a blanket "you can't go wrong with...." recommendation.

But it was not a senseless, unimaginative, empty or unintelligent observation, but apparently Monkeh believes that it was, believes that he should not be asked to justify his opinion and believes that should I have the temerity to object to it it's because of some childish vendetta.

In my experiance even the £10 unbranded switches sold by the likes of micro direct work fine.

In my experiance even the £10 unbranded switches sold by the likes of micro direct work fine.
Absolutely. Worth spending an extra tenner for gigabit version as can make significant difference if copying large files between pcs. Buy a spare in the unlikely event it fails, cheap as chips, just swap it out.

Unmanaged switches absolutely fine in small offices/homes. Though I did put a managed one on my home network but that was an extra obstacle for anything nasty on teenagers' computers getting on my business pcs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back