CAT D, how to tell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I think i may have bought a cat D car. Can anyone tell me where on the V5 log book where i will be able to tell.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't think it says it on there, have you tried phoning DVLA? Presumably you didn't get an HPI check when you bought it?

if the insurance company made an offer to the person that owned the car then DVLA will have the car on record as a cat D, or whatever cat it was recorded as, if the insurance didnt make an offer (usually by finding some small print in their T&C, which happened to me recently) then the car wont be recorded at DVLA. if DVLA dont have any record of the car and its damage and you have the V5 you can fix it up, insure it and away your go, but be warned, a cat D by law should be crushed, you can't even use parts off it, if you fix it up you'll be driving a death trap.

Happy motoring
Chilli

Chilli68 said:
if the insurance company made an offer to the person that owned the car then DVLA will have the car on record as a cat D, or whatever cat it was recorded as, if the insurance didnt make an offer (usually by finding some small print in their T&C, which happened to me recently) then the car wont be recorded at DVLA. if DVLA dont have any record of the car and its damage and you have the V5 you can fix it up, insure it and away your go, but be warned, a cat D by law should be crushed, you can't even use parts off it, if you fix it up you'll be driving a death trap.

Happy motoring
Chilli

Bloody hell Chilli, thats frightning mate!!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Chilli68 said:
cat D by law should be crushed, you can't even use parts off it, if you fix it up you'll be driving a death trap.

nonsense

a category D vehicle is written off as it would cost the insurance company more to repair it (bearing in mind body shop costs) than the car is worth.

often this is minor damage, such as a bumper, bonnet and headlamps.

many mechanics buy these, and repair them in there own time, thereby saving labour costs, and run them themselves. easy was of getting a cheap motor. there is not neccisarily (sp?) anything dangerous about a cat d. if in ANY doubt get a decent garage, tell them your thoughts, and get them to look over it.

dave

Doh! me, davieboy is right, i've got my catagories the wrong way round (muppet) A should be crushed, B re-use parts, C and D repairable damage. my Focus was a cat C unrecorded but with the damage to the chassis (stolen, police chase, crashed down embankment) the repair quotes were around the £2500 mark, not worth it, as davieboy says cat D are usually a smashed headlight, bent bonnet, wing etc, but make sure its checked out for damage you cant see I.E the chassis.

Be Lucky
Chilli

my Focus was a cat C unrecorded but with the damage

chilli, how can it be unrecorded when it's recorded as a cat c ?
the only unrecorded is, unless it's changed, was a cat x

libby lou lou said:
how can it be unrecorded when it's recorded as a cat c ?
Who knows, but whatever you've done with your car there's a strong possibility that it's illegal.

the car wasn't recorded as a cat C, the insurance co didnt inform DVLA because by law if they don't make a settlement offer they have no legal obligation to inform DVLA, i needed to find out from the insurance co what catagory they would have put the car under so i could find out if it was repairable, hence a cat C, not recorded at DVLA. the reason they didn't make me an offer was the keys, i left them in the ignition while i stood talking to someone about 15 yards from the car, some c*nt jumped in and was off, a stupid mistake on my part and a very expensive lesson.

Be Lucky
Chilli

Cat A should be totally disposed of ie crushed.
Cat B the parts may be used but the shell crushed and the log book should not be released from dvla to any new owners.
Cat C is a vehicle that is beyond economical repair to the insurer. this could be a damaged ignition lock on an older car with a value of a 100 pounds or a massive repair, jig work roof skin etc etc to a vehicle that is worth 25 thousand pounds regardless to what damage is done during the theft or accident.
any cars catorgrised by the insurance company Cat C for the last few years will when you try and get a log book or tax it will require a VIC (vehicle identy check) this is carried out by VOSA department of transport (the place where HGV's get their MOT's) to determine if the car is the car its claimed to be and not a ringer (identy swap)
There is a national help line to see if your car requires a vic check but I dont have it to hand Ill look for it in work tomorrow.
Also when you do get the log book its printed on it that it has been an uneconomical repair (not sure of the wording but will find out)

cat D is a vehicle that the insurance deem repairable. Remember if its an old banger the repairs would be minimal but if its worth a few bob it may have had major work. Nothing is recorded on the V5

i just brought a cat c car and am interested in having the cat c removed. how do i go about it?

the cars been repaired i think for about 2 years and according to the last owner they have had no trouble with. it was repaired by a mechanic who worked at the vw body shop..
if the car is as good pre accident condition i would like to find out how to get the cat c crash removed.
i guess it might need to be checked over by a damage expert to give the car the all clear.

any info will be read so feel free to comment

Hi, I am not sure but I would imagine that this would not be taken off the vehical as it is a protection for the next buyer. It would then be their choice to buy or not...

Sponsored Links
Back