Cat Flap in A Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to not having any real back door in the house and not wanting a cat flap in the fromt of the house. I'm looking at putting a cat flap through the wall in the back of the house.
Has anyone ever done this before and does anyone have any good tips on how to make the hole?

Thanks for any help

Simon

Sponsored Links
Done quite a few, so fairly straight forward.

Buy the cat door you want and make the box section out of 18mm plywood then check the cat door open inside the box section clearly without rubbing on the inside. Cut the hole in the wall using masonary drill bit the first half of the wall, chop it out then drill 4 extra hole on the external edge of the box through to outside then chop it out again from the outside wall. Make some thin wedges out of timber to tighten the box in the wall.

Have you used anything to seal up any gaps. Something like silicone or some other kind of sealent?

have done quite a few you can get extension sleaves which connect to each end of the flap, a decent drill and kango is the best way to make the hole.
Just done one recently on a wall 18" thick never thought the cat would go through it but he does.

Sponsored Links
simonbalaam said:
Have you used anything to seal up any gaps. Something like silicone or some other kind of sealent?
Yes run a sealant on the outside cat door frame. If you have brickwork facing on the outside might be an idea to start a neat hole from there as you can make goods inside a lot easier. A angle grinder would also give you a clean cut.

This is a great post as I am going to have to do this.

If I can hire a hole saw drillbit I will, but what is the best "implement" to use to chisel/chip away the edges to make the hole neat so the box section can slide in and through nicely ? I appreceiate I used the word chisel, but that was as in the verb "to chisel" :LOL:

I wouldn't use a holesaw if I was you, you probably can't realistically get one big enough, simply employ the same principles of sinking a double socket box, drill and bolster, perhaps a kango if you are short of time, long on money!! Depending on how careful you are, there is going to be an element of making good. When I did ours in our last house, the ouside wall was brick and flint, not at all funny, kango, nuclear warhead more like. Best of luck bit time consuming but relatively easy.

Thanks !

I've had a chat with the hire shop and I'm going to use a long drill to make four holes all the way through for my square. Then use the angle grinder to get the middle section "templated". I'll them probably use the angle grinder some more and the hammer and floor board remover thing.

For those who are trhinking of doing this too, I found these for the "tunnel"

http://www.catflaps.com/media/310big.jpg

Was also impressed with how much cheaper the hire shop is for discs and drill bits than Homebase :LOL: However, the best bit was my local "Pound or Less" shop which had heavy duty gloves and 10xdust masks for £1 each :D

masona said:
Done quite a few, so fairly straight forward.

Buy the cat door you want and make the box section out of 18mm plywood then check the cat door open inside the box section clearly without rubbing on the inside. Cut the hole in the wall using masonary drill bit the first half of the wall, chop it out then drill 4 extra hole on the external edge of the box through to outside then chop it out again from the outside wall. Make some thin wedges out of timber to tighten the box in the wall.

Dont suppose you have any work in progress/ work completion pictures on this topic at all masona, i'm looking into throwing my dogs into the garage and installing a dog flap, pictures speak a thousand words so to say

Took me three hours to knock through the wall yesterday - hard work !

Used a long drill and angle grinder. The killer was the dust :eek: When I blew my nose, I was blowing out clay :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back