Cat Flap :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

After considering numerous options (killing cats, getting rid of girlfriend) I have decided I'm going to have to install a catflap.

Problem is that the UPVC door i'm intending to install it to has dodgy plastic mouldings and its a single panel door (see below) The mouldings are on both sides of the door

The catflap measures 224mm x 224mm overall

The pencil mark on the right hand side of the left hand panel shows where the top of the cat flap would come up to (the outer section)

Anyone have any suggestions for the best way of installing a catflap, are those mouldings likely to be hollow underneath?

I was considering using a flush cutting blade on my fein multimaster to plunge cut the mouldings at the pencil line, then remove them with the same blade flush to the door, leaving a flat surface, then just installing the catflap as normal.

Should this work?

BTW, i've already considered going through wall, but not possible unfortunately.

Sponsored Links
I would not cut outside of the plastic panels as you will weaken the door.

Is there a smaller cat flap that will do the job and will fit in between the mouldings :?:

Is there a smaller cat flap that will do the job and will fit in between the mouldings :?:

Not that i can see unfortunately, they all seem to be a standard size, and that one is actually advertised as a "small pet door"

The actual cut out size for the flap is obviosuly smaller, its just the plastic outer thats big.

If the cut-out is smaller, how about putting battens on the door to bring the face level with the mouldings? Then the catflap would just be sitting on a thicker door. I think i have seen rigid foam faced with shiny white plastic somewhere, presumably the stuff used to make the panels with. might have been in a woodyard?

p.s. Hope you're saving up for a proper wooden door

Sponsored Links
If the cut-out is smaller, how about putting battens on the door to bring the face level with the mouldings? Then the catflap would just be sitting on a thicker door. I think i have seen rigid foam faced with shiny white plastic somewhere, presumably the stuff used to make the panels with. might have been in a woodyard?

p.s. Hope you're saving up for a proper wooden door

Thats not a bad idea john, I have some perfect wood that I can test this with,

need to actaully buy the cat flap really first though so i can see how it would work.

And as for the door, i'm saving up for a whole new kitchen, we only moved in a year ago but its definitely the worst room in the house, artex everywhere!

pain in the bum, i used to fit these from time to time for the local pet shop. They probably will be hollow with foam behind. Best way i found to cut the openings, without damaging the door was to drill a small hole in each corner and use a very sharp stanley blade to cut the plastic with.

I put a step either side of the cat flap my kitchen door as the cat flap is fitted quite high to miss a cross beam in the door and she's old.

can you not put a cat flap in the wall? or a window?

No, because when you go out of the door, the stairs descend around 4ft, so unless I could train them to use a rope ladder they would be struggling.

Besides all of the external walls have kitchen units along them at present.

in answer to original question

Yes the mouldings are hollow as they are vac formed then glued to foam core.

I fitted mine through the brick wall !!

Would like to do that myself, it would be the easier option, but its cant happen due to cupboards and distance to ground.

I think i may have been defeated with this one and it will have to be a moggy kennel thing outside instead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back