Catchpit Cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please may I ask for some advice. I have a 2 year old house that has 2 catchpits for surface water. The 1sr catchpit is shallow about 2 feet and collects rain water from the 2 gutteringsand then transfers it direct via a pipe to the second catchpit that is around 6 feet deep.
The second catchpit collects water also collects water from the driveway and another piece of guttering and also from Catchpit 1.
All this water just sits in the 2nd catchpit until it reaches a certain height and then drains off in to the main sewer. All the silt stays at the bottom of the 2nd Catchpit.
I opened the 2nd catchpit today as it has been 2 years since we looked in it and it is quite full of stagment smelly surface water and the level is just under the outlet pipe, there is about 2 foot of dirty water just sat there.
I have read that periodically there is a need to clean the water and silt out of the catchpit.
Due to the depth of 6 feet, I put some string on a bucket and dropped it in and removed as much water as possible, however there is still just under a foot of water left and the silt at the bottom.
As anyone any idea how to clean this water and silt out ?
Is it by a machine or how does other people do theirs.
It is to tight to jump in and do it by hand.
Any help is greatly welcomed.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the reply. It's 6 foot deep and very thin as its a catchpit for one residential house. I have rang the water jetting and vacuumation company that use a jet vac tanker and they said that due to its size its not really something they would do as its too small of a job and it would be upwards of £300 anyway and would take 5 minutes hence asking what other people do. I have looked online and there is pumps like the ones used in ponds to pump out excess water and silt. Just trying to ascertain what other people do to clean out their small thin catchpits ?

Ahhh!
That small - definitely don't jump in then. You'll never get out! :sneaky:

I'm just wondering if you could leave a bucket in there (once it's clean).
Then if it needs emptying, pump out the water and hook the bucket full of silt out?

There are also tools such as gulley bowls, grabs and scoops that may be able help.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou so much, brilliant idea, I will take a look at the tools. Thanks again

You could bale out most of it by using an old cooking pan, or similar, fastened to a broom handle. I clean out a water-butt that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back