Drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right forum or should be in the builders section.
I have 3 questions please.

1. I have just been clearing leaves and silt out of the drain beneath the gutter downpipes and have used a high pressure jet in this process but no matter how much water goes down the water levels out about 18" from the top. Is this normal?

2. The water also doesn't join the sewer pipe underneath the nearest manhole cover. Is this normal? I have no idea where the water is going, presumably underneath the house. All of our drainage is eventually connected to a pump, which has to pump uphill to the mains sewers.

3. The waste pipes from the sinks and bathroom are also drained into the same drain as the gutter downpipes. Is this normal?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If that your normal level, well o/k.
Sounds like this water runs to a soakaway.
Rain water could run to a soakaway but sink and bath should go into a sewer.

Nope, reservoir tank then pumped away

I suppose if I get the hosepipe turned on down one of the drains I could see if the water level in the pump chamber rises provided it doesn't pump as fast as it fills.

So if these drains are running to the pump chamber then it's OK for the sink waste etc. to go into these drains?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back