Catnic and BCO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I buy a Catnic I take it I can get the calcs from the makers.

BCO,s will accept these calcs. ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes they will.

The load/span tables should be suffiecient but Catnic can advise on the lintel size as long as you give them all the relevant loadings.

There wont be any calcs

If you install the lintel in accordance with Catnic's instructions and it is the right type for the opening, then that is it

Sponsored Links
Tony I'm going to ring them, It says to ring them if you don't know the loads. Also going to-do the same with IG Lintels looking at the Hitherm also.

They said they will help.

Thanks

There wont be any calcs

But surely you have to know the loading before you specify the lintel - Catnic's own tables give safe loads for different spans of particular lintels.

Do you? Do you really work out the loadings for every single lintel you put in a house :eek:

If you do here is a tip

A standard building has standard loads. Lintel manufacturers have worked all this out and designed a lintel

So if you use one of these lintels in a standard way as per the manufacturer's guidelines, then you don't need to know jack about loads, as it will just work fine

well, I don't know what Catnic brochure you're using, Woody, but mine has safe-working loads in it for each lintel-type. And the longer the span, the lower the safe working load.
At the front, it also says, quite clearly, that Catnic will provide help for anyone not competent to work out the loads.
If I'm wrong, shall I just stick my head up my a**e and join another thread then?
:rolleyes:

A 1m, 2m, 3m etc catnic will support the loads above it in a standard situation - ie a triangle of wall, a floor in a loadsharing context and the dispersed load from a roof

If there are extra point loads further up, or non UDL's then use a heavy duty lintel

A 1m, 2m, 3m etc catnic will support the loads above it in a standard situation - ie a triangle of wall, a floor in a loadsharing context and the dispersed load from a roof

If there are extra point loads further up, or non UDL's then use a heavy duty lintel

Or alternatively, calculate the loads and choose the correct lintel

Here's an extract from a Catnic brochure.
For this specific lintel, it quotes reduced loads for longer spans. So if using this particular lintel, OP would have to work out the loads (or get Catnic to advise).
Point being that somewhere along the line, some calcs would need to be done.

The correct lintel is one appropriate for the type of wall and one which is longer than the opening so that it holds itself up

How many times in your career has a BCO asked for calculations for a standard lintel used in a standard situation?

The idea is that the manufacturer has already done all the working out.

Are you telling me that you too work out loading for standard lintels used in standard situations? I'd hope there is no charge attached if you do

The correct lintel is one appropriate for the type of wall and one which is longer than the opening so that it holds itself up

How many times in your career has a BCO asked for calculations for a standard lintel used in a standard situation?

The idea is that the manufacturer has already done all the working out.

Are you telling me that you too work out loading for standard lintels used in standard situations? I'd hope there is no charge attached if you do
Takes about two mins to work out the loads Woody.

As Tony has said, lintel manufacturers give a safe working load for a given lintel length. You work out the load and choose the correct lintel from the tables for the calculated load.

They haven't done all the working out for you...

Just because BCO doesn't ask for calcs it doesn't absolve you of your professional responsibility to ensure you provide the the correct structural elements.

Just imagining the judge's face in court when your defence is "Oh, I don't bother with that, BC never ask anyway" :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back