Catnic and BCO

The fact that BCO's dont ask gives a bit of a clue ... they don't have to, because they know that the lintel will take the loads as the mannufacturers have designed it to

LIkewise, if you plonk a long concrete lintel in, or a bit of 4x2 or a steel beam, then they will ask for calcs because that is non-standard and there are no calculations already done and the manufacturers of these have not already designed any of them for given openings

Sponsored Links
I had a two month ding dong with b.c. over a h.d. catnic that was not inspected at the build stage. They said that the paperwork i supplied could not prove it and that they could not tell from the visible lip and that the sticker was now covered.

Fortunately the customer had a piccy showing the depth of the lintel upstand (3 course) and it showed larger than normal bearings due to an opening size anomaly.

Good enough.

I now drag all b.c. officers over to any non-standard lintels and shove their face at the info' sticker.

Either the architect or an s.e.would need to provide information for the loadings and/or specify a suitable lintel. Neither the customer or the builder can be expected to do this.

Sponsored Links
So you are saying the query was the type of lintel not the loadings?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back