Catnics, Walls and Ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I’ve bought a knackered mid-terrace that’s not seen any attention since the 20s.
Plaster is falling off the walls and the lath and plaster ceilings are cracked, bowed and full of holes. A lot of work; but there is nothing on the T.V. EVER. So now is the time to upgrade everything. Plus, I’ve just had a lovely gas bill, which is why I’m now going to go really overboard with insulation everywhere. I’m sure gas isn’t going to get cheaper any time soon.

1) I’ve had the lintels around the house replaced with Catnics.
My main questions are regarding reg. Do I need to fix fireboard on Catnic for the lintels? If so, I would it be ok to box them up with the pink fireboard and use gripfill as the Adhesive?

2) I’m going to take down each ceiling (I’m ok with the mess.) and put up insulated plaster board. You can see from the picture that the bricks, lintel and wall plate are not flush.
Due to the board's thickness I’ll only be able to butt it right up to highest course of bricks. This will leave a void between the end of the board and the wall plate. Do I have to pack the gap with anything?

3) On the internal side of the external solid wall I am thinking about dot dabbing up thermal plasterboard. Space isn’t an issue; but I’d rather not take up more with batons. Is it OK to have some gaps behind the board, as you can see it’s not flush. Because the lintels sit so far back should put a few layers of plaster board up even if I don’t need fire boarding.

I say on a you tube vid that I should put a solid run of adhesive at the top for fire regs, do I have to do anything else?

I’ve taken some pictures so you can have a look.

Thanks for your help.

View media item 40739 View media item 40740 View media item 40741

Sponsored Links
1 - you can attach the blard with pink grip, iirc steel needs to be double boarded, a quick call to your local council building regs would confirm though

2 - why use thermal boards? Better imo to insulate with rockwool and put standard board up, its more cost effective and would offer better sounds deadening.

3 - you dont need continual dab over the whole of the plasterboard, just dabs, apart from the top. You can dab plasterboard ontop of dabbed plasterboard though yeh, advisable to let one board go off first though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back