Plasterboarded Ceiling but there are a few gaps + advise on walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I've put new plasterboard up on my ceiling, which I had to do on my own, it's 25 sqm so took a while and it was made a little more difficult because I added the silver bubble wrap type of insulation that was stapled to the joists.

Anyhow, there are a few places where the boards do not butt against each other and there are gaps up to 1.5cm so was thinking that these gaps would need to be filled (before being taped)...if so, what would I fill them with?

I've still got to board the walls before getting someone in to give a quote for plastering the room so I don't know if the state of the ceiling will be ok as is but presume so...but have any plasters seen a plasterboarded ceiling that they wouldn't plaster?

I'll be starting on the walls next week and from what I've gathered, it's best to hang the boards from top down so they butt in nice to the ceiling boards but it seems odd at the mo because I don't know how good the glue is? I'll be using 'Knauf Gypsum Based Plasterboard Adhesive' from Wikes.

Do you have to hold them in place to dry? If so how long?
Do you work across one wall putting a top row first then a lower row, working to the floor or 1 column at a time?
Do you work from a corner or something like a door?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Add some pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
The first photo shows the worst part then the others are shot from the other end getting closer to that part

Attachments

• DSC_0092.JPG
    DSC_0092.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC_0093.JPG
    DSC_0093.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC_0094.JPG
    DSC_0094.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC_0095.JPG
    DSC_0095.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC_0096.JPG
    DSC_0096.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 191
I wouldn't worry about the gaps, the plasterer will moan but can get around that. the thing that will really p155 him off though is the ridges in the boarding did you just go straight over the foil insulation? It should really be battened over first. and worst of all the fact that all of the screw heads are proud of the board.
On the dot and dab what height have you got floor to ceiling, the adhesive won't hold the board up on it's own so it will need supporting at the bottom usually over night. but will hold into the wall fine
Work from one edge making sure your boards are plumb in both planes. get the first one spot on using a 6 foot level then work off of that one making sure that each is flush with the other

Sponsored Links
Thanks chappers, so just joint tape over the gaps will do?

Yes I stapled the foil straight to the joists, in my rush and lack of experience I didn't stop to think that any protruding staples or anything I might have missed would be a problem. To get it level would mean taking it all down and starting again, something I don't want to do. I can sort the screws out. I wasn't going to start getting quotes until I was ready to go ahead with the work but now I'm thinking that it might be better for someone to take a look now before starting on the walls but as the weather is getting colder I'm also in need to get the walls covered.

Worse case scenario, could another layer of boards be put over the top?

250mm from floor to ceiling

Take it down and let a plasterer board and skim.

With respect, you dont know what you are doing, and its odds on that you will come to expensive grief a second time if you have another go.
Re-use the old boards.
Too many faults to mention here without doing plaster boarding 101.

Ceiling p/b's edge butting raw brickwork should be scrimmed against the brickwork with Jute Hessian Scrim to make the inside corner. Proper plasterers know exactly what it is and why and how to do it.

Well said Vinn,, It's not a pretty sight. There's so much prep involved there.
Good on you for having a go ToxicToad, but some things are better left to those who KNOW what they're doing,,,, sorry mate! :)

Vinn your right I just jump in thinking I can do it!
Bit of a kick to the balls now but better to have it at this stage because I was going to start dot n dab...
Thanks

Thought about it a bit and I'm not going to touch it until I have someone take a look at it. I agree that it's a bad job but I don't want to pull everything down just in case some of it can be easily fixed.

Vinn you said "Ceiling p/b's edge butting raw brickwork should be scrimmed against the brickwork with Jute Hessian Scrim to make the inside corner." but is that required when plasterboard will be going on the wall and therefore butting up to the p/b on the ceiling?

Thanks

You will still have to scrim tape the joints with the ceiling and wall....I would use 4" scrim tape for that area..And some times double it up...

Also, just to add to everyone's comments above, you need a lot more fixings than that in ceiling boards!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back