Cause of brief leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of weeks ago we had a leak ( fast drips ), about a cupful of clean warm water dripped through the kitchen ceiling in a short space of time. First reaction was to start lifting the floorboards upstairs to locate source. Couldn't raise the necessary boards without removing cabin bed and a host of bedroom junk, so left it for the night as it was late and kids needed to go to bed.
Figured it's the hot water supply between boiler in kitchen and hot water tank upstairs and would have a closer look in the morning.
It's been completely dry since - I'm baffled as to what may have caused this temporary leak - it's a typical gravity fed hot water system, so not under a lot of pressure. On close inspection of the artexed ceiling, it looks like there's previously been a leak in the same place but not in the ten years we've been living here.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Was anyone in the bath or shower at the time (overflow of some kind seals gone around edge)as water can track and find lowest point before it drips

We've just had the bathroom fitted, so the initial thought was an overflow had come adrift or maybe a new pipe joint, as we were running a bath at the time. Took the bath panel off, all the new pipe work was easily visible and all dry, so no problems there. The only other thing I can think of was the plumber cranked up the cylinder thermostat a few degrees to get a hotter shower, but as I said, it's been Ok for over a fortnight now.
I've had a look all round the base of the cylinder which was all dry, so it must be between cylinder and boiler.

Sponsored Links
The only other thing I can think of was the plumber cranked up the cylinder thermostat a few degrees to get a hotter shower
good of you to let the plumber have a shower. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back