Cavity trays.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon

About 2 years ago i moved into a house built in the 80s which has had an extension built. Within the first 4 months of living there we had a huge leak onto the ceiling of the extension.

A couple of builders and lots of investigation later a new flashing was installed and the leak hasnt happened since....until recently.

Now it's not even on the same scale as last time which makes me wonder if it's the flashing or a lack of cavity trays?

Excuse my 2 minute drawing but I've put a line where I can see weep holes on the original wall ( the square is a window)but there isn't any where the flashing meets the wall? I can tell they have been fitted as you can see where the bricks have been removed.

Obviously I don't have original drawing or plans as I didn't build it but is there any reason why they would not of put these in?

It only seems to happen in strong westerly winds.

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210304_112010705~2.jpg
    IMG_20210304_112010705~2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
Would you say a small stain on the ceiling rather than massive amounts of water are more representative of lack of cavity trays?

More likely after driving rain on the problem elevation.

Sponsored Links
What are my best options? Installing cavity trays is obviously a given but is this something most builders will do? I got images in my head of the wall falling down :eek:

The pointing is abit patchy in places so I was going to refill those when it's better weather which obviously won't stop the problem but it can't make it worse right?

The pointing will be a good start, especially the perp joints.
The trays are installed by removing 1m sections at a time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back