Type E cavity tray installation

The only time they ever weep is when the gutter spills backward over the wallplate and down the cavity.

Joe, if you ever build a roof, ever in your life, you will understand just how ridiculous the statement above will read.

At any time on a pitched roof the wall plate is always a lot higher than the gutter.

By the way how does water get up over the fascia past the soffit and into the cavity? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Joe is on the right track !!!! :eek:

Rotten felt at the eaves, or punctured felt, from say birds nesting in the eaves, can cause water to back-track either along asbestos soffits (water resistant and resting on the outer skin) or where the eaves have no soffit

In particularly heavy rain, it is then possible for the rain to flow over the external skin, and down the cavity

I have a problem with a tray that perhaps you may be able to help with?
Newly built blockwork extension on rear (exposed, looking over valley) ground floor is larger than 1st floor so there were steel beams built in to build the block cavity wall above.
At the correct height a dpc tray was inserted along the length above a lead flashing, this then discharges onto a flat roof or pitched roof.
There are 3 stone sills below the windows. The dpc tray here is turned up around the sills.
The tray in the cavity is also turned up at either end where they meet the sills.
Blockwork at reveals was closed with insulated dpc.
My problem is that when there is wind driven rain we have water leaks internally. Blockwork is now soaked through and pretty much leaks everytime it rains.
I cannot totally guarantee that tray hasn't been damaged, but I doubt it.
Render is not going on until this is sorted.
Any ideas & areas to check would be appeciated.
I'll try and post a picture later

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back