cavity wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any advice or are able to point me to a website with info. on the different types of caviy wall insulation. I'm finding it difficult to get impartial advice. I hear 'rocksil' is 'best' then I hear a fibreglass alternative is 'best' as 'rocksil' attracts damp!
steve

Sponsored Links
Polystyrene is a good option, older style wall insulations were known to cause premature degradation of mortar joints by causing white salts to be
bought to the external wall surface - this was when external walls
retaining moisture for longer periods of time however.

I am unaware of ALL the different methods available today but would imagine that filling the cavity with compacted/expanded matrerials could help harbour damp as you could easily bridge the cavity walls if the material is pumped and over compressed or expands heavily in certain sections. Therefore obviously best to employ the services of a reputable firm who can guarantee their work for a period of time.

Sorry I cant point you to any links :(

I had cavity Wall Insulation put in about 5 years ago . They used a substance called 'Rockwool' which the guy told me was actually made from volcanic rock (it looked like grey cotton wool) . It has been the best home improvment investment i've ever had, it's brilliant . Why don't you go to www.google.co.uk and just type in 'Rocksil' or 'Rockwool' in the search field ? You should find something that way .

Sponsored Links
the majority of the products used today are moisture resistant to remove the problem of bridging the cavity. I had it done about 3 years ago under a scheme by british gas. Well worth giving them a ring and asking. They basically cover half the cost with a grant and then you get 3 years intrset free credit on the deal. The monthly cost is roughly what it will save you in heating a month (they reckon about £7 for an average home). We definetly felt the diffrence.

degoose said:
I had cavity Wall Insulation put in about 5 years ago . They used a substance called 'Rockwool' which the guy told me was actually made from volcanic rock (it looked like grey cotton wool) . It has been the best home improvment investment i've ever had, it's brilliant .
Does anyone else agree or dispute this comment above. I have been quoted £320 by a firm called "Millfold" to cavity fill my 4 detached house. My dining room, for example, has 3 external walls and is like a fridge. :(

Cheers,

Oscar

The bridging of the cavity was caused by a build up of mortar on the wall ties. The original insulation used was UF foam and when it surrounded the wall tie the moisture could not evaporate into the cavity so could be transferred across to the inner wall. I had a house injected with that awful stuff and it did stink for ages. I don't know if it's still used but the blown fibre, such as Rockwool, is the stuff to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back