Cavity wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've been in my house for 6 months and now it is getting cold outside I am beginning to wonder how well the cavity wall and loft insulation that the previous owners had put in is doing its job. Some of the rooms, particularly upstairs, do not seem to retain their heat for very long.

My question is this- when cavity wall insulation is injected in, how do they know it has reached every part of the house? I can see where it was injected in, but how do I know it has gone everywhere?

Thanks,

Ackoman

Sponsored Links
More concerning is how much is still in there.

The muppets that did ours did a rubbish job - funnily enough I was reorganizing the office today and found all the paperwork. I'm wondering if a third (or was it fourth) complaint is worth a try.... We're still hoovering up grey balls from various places.

TBF it is not all their fault as there are plenty of small holes and gaps for them to get through.... But they're supposed to inject PVA with the stuff to hold it together. I suspect they scrimped on this as a cost saver.

The regulatory organisation are also as much use as a wet paper towel in a tornado.

As to the actual question? I guess they measure the volume of what they send in the cavity against the estimated volume of said cavity.

I don't think they do, I think they just pump in as much as they can!
They're just there to do it as quickly as possible. You'd have to come back with a thermal camera to check if there were any gaps.
I think in practice cavity insulation can often work well, but I'm not really comfortable with the idea as there are too many thing to go wrong! Not the most of those is the tiny balls falling out everywhere.
If you get the balls done any they fall out, then at least you know all the places you needed to seal up to stop the draughts!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back