Cavity Wall Insulation - Is it a good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of my drive to get a warmer house, I recently got a survey done (through B&Q) to get my loft insulated. The surveyor who came said it is possible to get the cavity walls insulated also, well, 3 of the walls anyway, the front wall apparently doesn't have a cavity.

I've been told by a lot of people on this forum that i getting cavity insulation is great. Equally, google and some of my colleagues have also warned against it. Stories of damp etc.

I told the surveyor about it, and he siad that used to be a problem 10 years ago, not anymore and they give 25 year warranty against damp.

The query is, should I get it done?. Is is as risk free as the surveyor would have me believe??. I was quoted 130pound all inclusive for insulating the 3 walls if I get it done with the loft insulation; however, I'm not very sure if I should even get it done.

Thoughts/Suggestions welcome.

Regards.
Rizwan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I wish someone could really reassure me too...after all the cavity is there for a reason, and if water should penetrate it then there is cause for concern.
I suppose the idea is to keep the outer brickwork / pointing etc in good order, and also the roof tiles that cover that area.....
In an ideal situation I'm sure its great - but many old timers say not likely.
John :)

I really considered it a few years back and really researched it.
I found evidence for and against it and was like you undecided.

I eventually did not get it done. the few pound it would save was not really worth it.

With a decent boiler,TRVs loft insulation,decent double glazed sealed windows,draft excluding seals around doors coupled with underlay and carpet I felt that I had done enough.

My cottage is built from Northumbrian sandstone - noted for its porosity.
I've never seen any problems with it, but then I would never know!
John :confused: :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back