Cavity wall junction around doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building a dwarf wall for a conservatory and I was wondering how the junction between the internal floor and a door opening is done.

Not thinking about it in too much detail, I thought you bring both walls up to DPC height, with DPC going all round and then I planned on using both sides of the walls as a guide when levelling the floor with a bit of timber and laying the slab.

After looking into it a bit more, you obviously have two walls where the door will be.

I would like to know how you usually close the gap between the two walls and as far as I know the concrete slab usually goes up to the door (which would sit on the outer leaf), so how do you keep the levels so they both meet?

I will be using cavity closer around the rest of the door so do you use the same for the bottom of the door and you just put the screed over it? but surely there won't be any support under it? Not that it will need to take much weight.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could do it like this.....
Floor Detail by noseall posted 6 Jul 2015 at 7:11 PM[/GALLERY]

Thanks novella. I forgot to mention I am using blocks for both internal and outer skin (and below DPC).

I also have foundation blocks under them.

Basically I have two rows of foundation blocks, I then planned to use:

- One course of blocks
- One course of bricks

This brings me up 300mm, I am then at DPC height.

I'm just confused at the bottom of the door openings.

Due to the height, if I use 1 block on the inner leaf under the door I would only have 75mm left?

I can always cut the blocks lengthwise but is that how its normally done?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm just confused at the bottom of the door openings.

Due to the height, if I use 1 block on the inner leaf under the door I would only have 75mm left?
Doors are fitted to the OUTER leaf.

If you mean using a block on the inner leaf (within the door opening) then having 75mm left will be ok. Instead of the screed and the slab carrying all the way to the outer masonry, just build it so that the slab
abuts your inner leaf block and the screed carries on all the way to the outer leaf. In other words leave the course of bricks off within the door opening.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I did think that, I will go with using bricks probably and leave the 75mm saves messing around.

I wasn't planning on doing any infill between the cavity because I am now above ground with foundation blocks, so do I need to do some infill just between the cavity under the door? If so, how do I restrain it to just that area as I can see that being tricky.

Looking at your latest diagram, it looks like there is a gap?

Thanks,

Yeah pants drawing. Just fill the cavity (with lean mix concrete) then use polythene and insulation as in the first drawing.

Perfect, thank you. I assume filling in just where the doors will go is sufficient? As I said I don't need an infill anywhere else.

Cheers

Hi all, I am doing the same detail but with insulation between the slab and screed. How would that detail look?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back