Cavity wall missing inner wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just purchased a 1930's chalet bungalow. Been there two weeks now and starting to uncover some of the bodges that have been done over time and have found that one part of the outer wall is missing its inner wall if that makes sense. There is a free standing chimney about three feet from the outer wall and someone has turned this area into a cupboard, on removing the liner of the cupboard I discovered the above.

All the electrics come in at that point of the building and there is a section of innerwall missing about two feet wide and the height of the wall. The cavity appear to be capped neatly.

I am wondering why this would have been done, anyone ever seen anythign like this before and if it is something to panic about now.

Any opinions gratefully received.

Thanks

Neil

Sponsored Links
Strange - but could be made good with normal celcon blocks ;)

Cupboard wall may have been part of a chimney which are often only single skin thickness.. 30s properties often had two chimneys (one for lounge the other for kitchen stove)

The 2 ft opening may have been an old doorway..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back