CCTV Card or dedicated DVR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All
I was thinking of buying a dedicated DVR from cctv direct for my home but now im not wure if its a good idea to have a dedicated DVR or just add a 6-8 port cctv card to my computer.
What is the general consensus?
What i wanted was to be able to access it from the www and an output onto my tv via bnc and if a dvr vga for a seperate monitor.

What do you think??
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well the proper way would be to have a dedicated DVR
Almost all DVR's do webby now

What you got running on your computer?? too many things to go wrong when you really need it IMO

Windows 7 and IE and a serial Com remote convertor hardware
I am a mcse so fully understand the dreaded windows bug lol.
Any recommendations on a good dvr? I found the killer xhd8 on CCTV direct but I don't know what is recommended by users of dvr's
Cheap and cheerful I want with via and bnc output + network.

Windows 7 and IE and a serial Com remote convertor hardware
I am a mcse so fully understand the dreaded windows bug lol.
Any recommendations on a good dvr? I found the killer xhd8 on CCTV direct but I don't know what is recommended by users of dvr's
Cheap and cheerful I want with via and bnc output + network.

Well i'm a DM man so that would be my choice as a professional installer, not familiar with the unit you mentioned, but please please dont waste your money on something cheap and cheerful as you'll be very dissapointed with the end result.

I'm sure the others will give recommendations on the kit they use.

What is your budget?
Any consideration on the type of cam you intend to use on the system?

Sponsored Links
There's more than one proper way, mryoung :) Standalone pvrs show significant issues if you need to expand the system or have more commercial needs.

My choice would be ip cameras - they're all I use. Far more flexibility in wiring, scalability etc.

There's more than one proper way, mryoung :) Standalone pvrs show significant issues if you need to expand the system or have more commercial needs.

Never faced any issues with my kit, i cant comment on others :D

And he only needs 6-8 channels

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back