CCTV, could someone offer some advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to install a cheap system, mostly to keep an eye on the kids in the garden when there playing, but would also like it to monitor the the property when were out, looking at a 4 cam system with dvr have mapped out 4 areas that i could mount the cameras, but know nothing about what cams i need, not looking for hi def quality but would like to be able to atleast see whats going on, have plenty of pir based lights around the property to iluminate during the night.

Found this system but am i wasting my money, like i said know nothing, have read plenty of posts on here but im still none the wiser.

Any help appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-4CH-500GB-I...ms=65:2|66:2|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
http://www.iviewcameras.co.uk/ good all round company prompt delivery and helpfull

But offer little to nothing in way of description and capability of products.

Cheap is not usually the best way to go. Sadly, when the time comes that you do need the recorded images, they are often of little use. Net result, money wasted.

Cheers guys for the replys, did have a look at the link but still wasn't sure what would be worth getting, would the image from that ebay package be that bad, like i say i have no idea about cctv, is there anywhere i can get a picture of a good image compared to a bad one or even roughly what sort of picture i would be getting from these cams.

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys for the replys, did have a look at the link but still wasn't sure what would be worth getting, would the image from that ebay package be that bad, like i say i have no idea about cctv, is there anywhere i can get a picture of a good image compared to a bad one or even roughly what sort of picture i would be getting from these cams.

Cheers in advance
Personally, wouldn't touch it.
As with all requests for advice, need to know your budget - what you are prepared to pay. Cheap usually results in naff quality and money wasted.

From what you've said regarding PIR lighting, then you don't need IR camera's. - LEDs are lifed anyway. Go for ones with good low light capability.
Do you really want ugly looking bullets hanging on your walls? Domes are less obvious.

DVR, beware of sites suggesting great image viewing. Its not realtime that is your primary concern but playback of recorded images.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back