CCTV for home. Basic or pay a bit more? Help me out...

If you put a grands worth of cameras outside your house you'll have the pleasure of seeing Mr ***** pinch them.

Bet you've had something nicked and are now going way over the top. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Bet you've had something nicked and are now going way over the top. :rolleyes:

Trying to prevent this...

My main reason for doing this is because I'm into tech, fancy doing it and want that added bit of security.

What I really dislike is paying for someone else to do it, when I am preparped to do it myself. Which is bizarrely, why I ended up here at DIYnot; "DIY can be both challenging and rewarding - this is where DIYnot.com aims to help. Our expert teams have brought together hundreds of information pages. Why not Do It Yourself?"

In this instance, I've been quoted between £800 and £1200 for supply and install of 4 cameras. I know for a fact the goods offered in these quotes ARE not to the quality/spec of what I've got.

I've spent the money saved on the labour, on better quality kit... and when it's installed, I'll have achieved what I set out to do.

Whether it works or not, who knows, it's been fun and I've learnt a bit on the way.

What cameras did you get (list part codes)?

A Samsung SCO-2080RN/P only needs about 600ma at 12v DC or 300ma at 24v AC. So a PSU with four 1A 12V DC outputs would do the job fine. Get one with more outputs if you think you might expand.

Presumably you don't have a huge cable run between PSU and cameras, like over 100m?

Whether you use an AC or DC power supply is largley irrelevant in a small home installation. You would normally use AC power if the cable run is very long to combat the voltage drop.

Mark,

I've 2x SCO-2080RP and 1x SCV-2080RP, both are based on the same internals/specs I think. Longest run is going to be about 15m!

Both manuals state; DC12v/4a or AC24v/2a. If I can get away with less, then I stand more chance of being able to run 4+ from one PSU. It's just which PSU.

Based on my maths & your figures, a DA667/8 (12V DC 8 x 1Amp) should be well upto the task of potentially running 8, no?

Sponsored Links
Both manuals state; DC12v/4a or AC24v/2a. If I can get away with less, then I stand more chance of being able to run 4+ from one PSU. It's just which PSU.

The manual recommends you use their Samsung branded power supply which is 12V, 4A. If you look at the specifications, you'll see that the camera draws 6.8W maximum, so not 4A (it would be getting rather hot dissipating 48W!! ) :eek:

The manual recommends you use their Samsung branded power supply which is 12V, 4A. If you look at the specifications, you'll see that the camera draws 6.8W maximum, so not 4A (it would be getting rather hot dissipating 48W!! ) :eek:

I don't understand electrics, but am good friends with a sparky. I'm guessing what you're saying backs up Mark's comments above, which means I can consider other Dantechs, ones which may offer more room for expansion?

6.8W at 12V is 0.57A, or at 24V is 0.29A

Job done then. Just need to take delivery of the DA and then wire it all in :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back