CCTV picked up someone taking a battery of the drive this morning ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why would someone take a car battery left on a drive - do they have some sort of scrap value.

It was rubbish from my perspective, but wasn't left out as such.

Sponsored Links
Contains a small amount of lead and it wasn't nailed down!:sneaky:
Decorator I knew had a brand new pair of steps taken by a scrap guy as he was unloading tools and stuff into a job. He caught up with him and got the answer. Oh I thought they were being thrown out! Hmmmm:ROFLMAO:

A small car battery will get you about £5. A big one about £7

Sponsored Links
It was a big one - out of a transit / motorhome - Having zoomed in on the still - It was a scrappy, has his number on the back of his jacket.

Round this way people leave all sorts of rubbish outside their houses in the hope it gets taken . I'm sure your scrapman would come out with this as his excuse

On my dog walk route this PM in a road of £7-800,K houses there was no end of rubbish inc scrap metal and a Sony 32" TV dumped outside some houses. I can see the return of the rag and bone man on his horse - "any old iron" !

I sorted out a fruit and veg trader's Transit van starting problems, his van won't do anything, no lights no nothing, he thought it must be his 1 year old battery, and so he charged it overnight and still no joy, so he then leapt in his car and bought a new transit battery 80Ah, cost him a little fortune, still his van won't start, so someone suggested I might be able to help, so I went along and found that his main battery fuse had gone, for whatever reason, so we went to a dealer and bought a new fusible link, in return for my help I asked for his old battery, he obliged, and brought it over to my house and as it was really heavy I just left it in my front garden for a short while, couple of hours later I wanted to bring it in, but it was gone!

mine was properly screwed it was never up to the job of starting the van to start as it didn't have enough CCA. The alarm had flattened it several times and i'd had it on charge for a week just for it to show 20%.

i did make the mistake of once binning a perfectly good deep cycle battery as it was showing zero volts.

To be fair, even if it was a deep cycle one, if it was showing 0v it was fecked! Deep cycle means they can withstand discharging down to about 30% whereas a normal lead acid battery starts getting ruined at about 70% discharge

I think the control/charge unit that is part of the van's "consumer unit" protects them so probably wasn't zero volts - just showing zero on the display..

To be fair, even if it was a deep cycle one, if it was showing 0v it was fecked! Deep cycle means they can withstand discharging down to about 30% whereas a normal lead acid battery starts getting ruined at about 70% discharge
Interesting - And co incidentally my part time job veg delivery van - ran the battery down to nothing the other day - first the radio then the windows, then the indicators and eventually the backlit display all went, and then the fly by wire throttle. So, would you guys say I well and truly F****d the battery:unsure:

You can normally get away with it once or twice, but if you keep draining them then they wont take a charge properly. sometimes though you have to charge it in parallel to get the volts up before charging it on its own. Generally if a battery charger wont bring it up to charged in <24 hours its probably time to change it. Unless you are charging with a trickle charger.

Whenever you want to replace your car battery, it is worth asking for some money for your old one, they would normally allow a fiver, and if you have two old batteries they may even allow up to a tenner, but they won't take more than two back, some dealers may take more off you. I got my new battery and took back two old ones, I got a tenner discount.

to be honest the dealer would have to give me 20-30 quid back to get close to online prices.

Sponsored Links
Back