CCTV question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, I have a plasma TV , and a pc upstairs currently and would like to have cctv preferably covert connected to both or even just the plasma.

I don't want to pay the earth but I know getting a good system wo'nt be peanuts also.

Is wirless good or wired , I have'nt got the fggiest but am waiting to learn off you chaps.

Yours in ernest, newgas ;)

Sponsored Links
Have you a distribution system in place now?
Sky in the loft maybe?

Hardwired when ever possible.

I have sky downstairs on tv , and virgin internet on pc upstairs , what do you mean distribution?

I'm thinking of having summat like a pretend alarm box thingy on the outside of my house that is really a camera :evil: ( or summat similar ).

if you recommend hardwired then I'll have to do it I'm afraid :D

I just do'nt like doing too much work at home. :D

Well if you have an Ariel feed you could put in a distributer and hey presto camera on the TV, Fitted from the loft if the cable goes that way. Also drop it via the PC. Use a card or a VGA converter.

Wireless is poor unless you get the better TX/RX equipment or everything else will interfere,

Once using it ( not my choice) we had the cameras from two adjacent properties bleed over. Got over it but it could still happen to them again.

As before you dont see all these cheap cameras on offer protecting the stores they are sold in do you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Alarm, I will look into it a little more and then get back on this .

I've been looking for the tx/rx equipment , is there any specific name you know of cos millions came up when i typed it on google :eek:

Too big for what you need or will ever need and thats just the TX.

Before deciding to buy equipment operating on 5.8 GHz read this page

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binar...-devices/apply-for-a-licence/5.8_app_form.pdf

which requires among other information

6 Please supply the names and contact details of people in
your organisation who are responsible for the operation
of radio equipment, and who Ofcom can contact in case
of queries about your application and/or radio system.

and note the bottom line.

The licence fee is £50 which includes registration of up to 50 terminals. For every terminal beyond 50 you should add £1 to the cost of
your licence

What??? :confused: I only posted up for info on maybe 2/3 cameras at the most availlable at my pc and tv, and now its gone to licenceing :eek:

I think I'll give up :oops:

If you need to have reliable service then use of the open licence and thus free to all users frequencies is prone to problems from interference from other systems affecting the pictures on your monitors. There is also the high risk of lack of privacy when other systems show the pictures from your cameras.

Cheers Bernard, you do indeed need the licence.

OP we were/are giving you the "best" options.
If you want a camera you cannot rely on, can be viewed by next door then go 2.8 band.
Or go hard wired as I suggested.

Cheap, go maplins and get one that plugs into your tv. just remember they dont use them for a reason.

What exactly would I need to go hard wired if I already have sky cables in ( from front of house straight in)and virging Broadband ( also from front of house, in and then straight upstairs ) cables up to pc etc.

The full list of what I will need and costs if possible ( Hardwired), and I thank you again for your help, I'm easilly frustrated this time of year :D

Costs too, lol. Your asking me to quote blind and in the pub !!! Ask again next year!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back