CCTV Suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for suggestions for some CCTV for my house.

Currently have Nest Door Bell camera, which is fine, but no local streaming or recording, means you need to use up a lot of internet bandwidth and wait on nests servers loading up your feed anytime you want to check, even if your sitting in the front room.

Im looking to get 2 maybe eventually 3 cameras for keeping an eye on car/lane/back garden, preferably POE units that can record locally, but still give access via phone app/internet when needed.

Any good experiences to share?

Sponsored Links
https://calculator.ipvm.com/ you can plan your home in with cameras available to get an idea of coverage and image at distance x from camera,

light is probably the biggest issue to consider. Low or no light look for something like color vu or similar.

good light 247 then you can get away without colour vu, maybe darkfighter.

Detect
Observe
Recognise
Identify

DORI as it’s known is how you should plan,

If you want detect, it can below resolution but won’t be much good for conviction.

Identify best way to get a conviction although when dodgy people get close to CCTV and they aren’t doing a Recon they tend to have the face significantly covered but they do make mistakes and reveal large portions of features.

the question is budget realistic for what you need it to achieve.

if say you had a terraced house and like many the front door goes straight to pavement you could get away with 2-4MP camera on a wide angle lens.

if you have a buffer garden it needs to be 4MP plus most likely and so on

Last edited:
????

colour vu no light required (camera supplies its own).
Darkfighter needs some light for 247 colour otherwise is glow red for IR black and white at night.

If you have good strong lighting, ie outside your yard is a street lamp, then even a relatively cheap camera can manage 247 colour image until street lamp is out.

am I reading this wrong or is it the wine deprivation

Sponsored Links
i Wouldn’t use a colour vu in a really dark area might be ok in a small enclosed area but no good on a long garden ….

analogue or ip I only use ip and not had any major issues, also have light level set very low. Less than 10% In the pitch black.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back