Cctv system help needed

You could use a Hikvision DS-7204HUHI-K1 Turbo HD (approx £110) 5MP Hikvision cameras (approx £50 each) and connect them with cat5e or cat6 cable and baluns.

Buy a 100m coil of UTP cable and a RJ45 crimping kit and make your own leads up, you can get HD baluns that have RJ45 sockets that convert to / from the video and power connections. So that the power and video are both carried on the same cable.
Add a HDD and power supply and you’ve got a very nice HD system
It’s worth spending a little bit more to get good quality, reliable kit.
As for the cat5e / cat6 cable, go for solid copper UTP not CCA (copper coated aluminium)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd focus on fewer cameras if the budget is tight. Wide angle, high res
hikvision ds-2cd2032-i might be better for frond door (£80 on ebay with 4mm lens) and maybe mount the second one inside e.g. Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I (£130) with a 2.8mm lens
Have a look on ebay for an old synology DS21x (e.g. DS213 or newer) - they work forever and seem to go for £50-80 (empty) to £200 with a couple of HDD. You can get a new DS216J for £130 (j-meaning lower spec processor) - Couple of used 2TB disks..

then buy a TL-SG1008P £60 (gives you 4 POE points and 4 normal gigabit ports.

So worse case:
front door £80, lounge £130
Switch £60
Storage £200
£50 Cat6 and a handful of RJ45 ends, face plates and a tool etc.

I'm afraid to do Network based isn't cheap because you need face plates and back boxes to make it look nice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back