Cctv system help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone i am looking for a 4 channel cctv system however there is so much choice its unbelievable and i am struggling. I have been looking on amazon and found a couple of systems both by yhe brand H view, one is 2mp POE system and other is 4mp AHD systen they both have 2tb hard drives and i know the AHD system has the different cables and both have remote viewing etc,

I have read that i should be looking for a digital system but cannot figure out what is digital or anolouge and unsure of tge normal cables that need power or to go with poe

Any advice
Thanks dean

Sponsored Links
Analogue will use traditional video/audio cables digital will use cat5 or Poe(power over Ethernet). Digital I find easier and more future proof as the cat5 can be used again. Buy some cat6 cable and rj45 ends with a tool making your own cables is easy.

Go for a branded name I made the mistake of under spending on my first system got a Chinese brand nothing but problems. Since upgraded to a 6 camera hikvision system and it is excellent.

+1 for Hikvision, they do 2 brands.

Hikvision - aimed at the professional market (recommended)

HiWatch by Hikvision - aimed at the DIY market (cheaper, lower specs and new to the market)

The Hikvision brand is tried and tested and is excellent, I have installed 3 systems recently.

HiWatch is new so no reports on quality / reliability / performance etc. I would personally pay the extra and go with the Hikvision brand.

They do a wide range of DVR’s and NVR’s and cameras, whichever system you go for, run cat5e or cat6 cable

Sponsored Links
Pretty happy with my Hikvision cameras, though I find the night vision capability of the bullet cam a little poor. I have mine PoE back to a synology server. I have a second server, so am thinking of expanding the set-up to 4 cameras.

Biggest problem I have is spiders liking the IR LED

Thanks for the advice, it's hard as all the systems dont seem to say anologe or digital, take it t i cant link the items for your opinions ?

H.View 4ch 4.0MP CCTV Camera System Max up to 5.0MP 5 in 1 DVR Recorder with 2TB Hard Drive Installed and 4x1440P(4.0MP) Security Cameras (USB Backup, Support Analog,AHD, TVI,CVI and IP Camera, Enhance Night Vision up to 35M)

Thats one but cannot see what cables it uses and seems a good price and has good reviews, but have read a few posts saying hikvision os excellent , is there app for remote viewing good ?

So back to basics i am after a digital system so future proof and better quality etc, so need cat5e or cat6 cables ? So sould i go for Poe os that the future or not?

And lastly were can i find whole hikvision systems wanted 4 cameras and cables and the dvr

I know i am asking a lot and appreciate any help

Thanks for that mate whats the main difference from dvr to nas ? I dont have any spare hdds knocking around at all.

Will have a look at the systems you listed when get home on laptop think i need to sign up to see prices, i am after 4 camara system and all digital, you think should go POE ? Is this most furureproof

Thanks dean

A NAS (eg synology DS216) can backup your computer, stream music and video, share files, support multiple drives in redundant configurations etc etc and have decent tools for your cameras but they usually only come with 2 cam license. PoE is handy as you don’t need a separate power supply for the camera.

but you do need a poe switch. it depends if you have a wired network at home.

The DVR only does CCTV but supports more cams without adding licenses.

DVR will be best I think then, can I link the cams I was looking at from amazon on here to see if digital ? thanks so much for advice as so many systems and different setups etc. want a 4 cam system with DVR will look at the Hikvision when get home aswel

While I am not an expert and this won’t be strictly 100% true I would look at it like this;

DVR - analog
NVR - digital

While DVR does stand for digital video recorder it is mainly for analog cameras fed with coax cables one for power one for picture.

NVR is a network video recorder for ip cameras fed via POE which means just one ethernet cable which should be future proof if you decide to change cameras. I fitted analogue cameras over coax to a DVR for a family member a few years back. Comparing the quality with the ip cameras it doesn’t come close.

I also setup an internal camera with a NAS drive to record as I had it sitting around for steaming to my TV and didn’t really like it I much prefer a dedicated unit (my hikvision NVR) which I can login to and play with settings.

While I am not an expert and this won’t be strictly 100% true I would look at it like this;

DVR - analog
NVR - digital

While DVR does stand for digital video recorder it is mainly for analog cameras fed with coax cables one for power one for picture.

NVR is a network video recorder for ip cameras fed via POE which means just one ethernet cable which should be future proof if you decide to change cameras. I fitted analogue cameras over coax to a DVR for a family member a few years back. Comparing the quality with the ip cameras it doesn’t come close.

2mp TVI or ip quality ....same
5mp TVI or ip quality ....same
Both these will use the same front end , only difference is what's bolted onto the back of the ip camera , so you could be paying for something you may never use !
Currently running 4x 5mp TVI cameras and a 5mp Ip camera on a unit ( all hikvision ) ...the only differance I can see is the Ip camera does not run as smooth as the TVI on live display
So don't be fooled by the suggestion that digital e.g. ip cameras are better , possibly at higher megapixel resolution 8mp and above

Thanks for that advice mate, i will like a couple for you opinion if you dont mind, mught got with the lower 2 mega pixel setup with POE rather than the higher 4mp setup with 2 wires.

So will the poe cameras still be anologe jist using poe wiring i imagine as both connect to dvr and not nvr

Thanks dean

NVR will (should) have half a dozen PoE ethernet ports in the back, so it’s just a case of running the Cat6 from the NVR to the camera.

personally i’d go for the 4meg cameras

dome and mini bullet hikvision are good at about £90-120 a pop

NVR will (should) have half a dozen PoE ethernet ports in the back, so it’s just a case of running the Cat6 from the NVR to the camera.

Will work out expensove with nvr and woring thats only problem these are the 2 i was orginally looking at

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...36_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=4mp+cctv+camera

And lower quelity but has POE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...r=8-11&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=h+view

These are more my price range maybe 350 or so max, found hiwatch with nvr but without cables or hdd for 300 pound you think these 2 listed are bad quality and cheap and not worth spending money on ?

Thanks for all help thus far mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back