CCTV with long term cloud storage options ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few shops where I would like to install CCTV but sadly there is no budget for a company to come down and charge £5k per shop to install anything so we're going to have to do it ourselves and hopefully get most of what we would like for a moderate budget.

Costco have some Black Friday deals on right now but the elephant in the room is cloud backup.

Google NEST is only 1080p but is only £100 a year for 60 day of events and / or (?) 10 days of 24/7 video
Lorex is up to 4k and H265 compression with a 2TB hard drive and remote access but no cloud which is about 2 days worth for 8 cameras at 4k (https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/video-storage-calculator). They seem to partner (?) with Videoloft who would like £1109 a month for 365 days of 36 camera storage ! https://app.videoloft.com/get-started?type=enduser
Swan is up to 4k but cloud seems to be only events and up to 60 days but subject to fair use.

Are there any financially feasible but technically competent options out there ?

Lorex looks the best quality but only has very limited local storage for live video while NEST compromises quality for 60 days of events and 10 days of live video and I guess as it is Google, it does actually work.

Sponsored Links
Well your not going to get it for free …cloud storage for 4K takes vast amounts of storage space , someone has to pay for it , that’s why most are based on events only …

Why does it need to be long term storage? Surely a few days would be enough. If an incident occurred you could download to a memory stick.

Well your not going to get it for free …cloud storage for 4K takes vast amounts of storage space , someone has to pay for it , that’s why most are based on events only …

I have 5TB of space with a Microsoft 365 business subscription for 5 PCs which costs around £11 a month.

Everyone on the planet can have multiple 30GB Gmail accounts. etc.

I am fine to pay for it, but the cost must be relative.

Sponsored Links
Why does it need to be long term storage? Surely a few days would be enough. If an incident occurred you could download to a memory stick.

We are dry cleaners. Sometimes a client may complain about something which they pick up but which we received 20/30+ days ago.

I'd live with a month or two in the cloud and then hard storage but go think about places like Marks and Spencer with 100+ cameras. they must be keeping data for months if not years and they are not paying millions to do so.

Easy …..BIG NOTICE ….ANY ISSUES MUST BE REPORTED WITHIN 48hrs…..

Sorry, impossible in our business because we could have someone not collect something for say 4 or 6 weeks and only then make a complaint.

We already have terms and conditions requiring complaints to be made within 24 hours and all losses must be reported before taking items off the premises but there is no way, morally or legally, to force collection on a client and thus we need an elongated storage time.

I have talked to suppliers today about event logging and if we were open 8 hours from 24 but we had movement virtually all the 8 hours we are open, then we would cut the storage required by 2/3rds. We could also keep one camera on 24/7/365 and drop that storage saving to about 55% to 60%.

Nest's 60 days storage for events seems a decent midway house but their cameras are 1080 which is well behind the curve in 2023.

Do you just need to photograph the stuff when they drop it off and again after you have cleaned it?

It may just be cheaper to buy larger HDD for each shop?

Some cheaper machine don't allow larger HDD capacity ,some can be limited to max 4/6 TB.

I have 2TB, 3 cameras, recording 24/7 and it lasts for months.

It may just be cheaper to buy larger HDD for each shop?

Yeah, sort of thought about that one and also about whether it could be hooked up to a NAS or similar but whichever way you slice and dice it, it comes back to generating too much data to store in high resolution over a long period of time.

Do you just need to photograph the stuff when they drop it off and again after you have cleaned it?
No, I wish !

Take a current problem. We seem to have mislaid two expensive t-shirts. If we had all angles covered, we'd be able to see where they moved to and potentially to see where they disappeared off our radar.

At present, our decades of experience suggests they were left in a tumble dryer and then scooped out with the next load and sent to that customer. Of course, we have no idea who that customer is so we cannot backtrack.

The other day I picked up my laundry from the dry cleaners and it was nice and soft after the tumble drier treatment.
And they gave me 2 expensive t-shirts included in the load...
Great service!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back