Cedar Deck Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Im about to construct a cedar 40mm deck which is over 70 m2, and was wondering what is the best fixings to use. For speed was thinking nail gun nails, dont think hidden method will be appropriate because of size and cost. So im left with nail or screws. My questions are.

Nails or screws which is better ?

Will Nails split ends ?

How many fixing per board for each Joist, 2 or 3?

What size fixings?

What is the best spacing to use between boards?

Cheers
Leonne

Sponsored Links
I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but this sort of question always makes me wonder why it's been asked... Decking is decking is decking... you can find anough info on the web about laying decking to sink a battleship!! Although if you have specific requirements, then surely you ask your supplier?

True Imamartian, there is lots of info on there almost to much now :confused: . The reason I ask here is because I know there are some trades men on here who have experience between them of doing things in many different ways, I'm interested to know what results are achieved depending on the approach used.

I'd prefer to get a straight answer rather than trawling the web for the info I need, also If i don't understand something I can ask for more clarity.

I'm also not sure I agree that decking is decking is decking, there are lots of different materials, designs, and constructions methods e.g hidden fixings vs screws.

Thanks
Leonne

Of course imamartian has never posted a question that hasn't been answered a thousand times before on Google either! ;)

Sponsored Links
Being cedar you should be using non ferrous fixings so thats either brass or stainless steel screws. Kreg (the pocket hole people) have a nice secret screw system for decking which would suit your thicker boards, not sure if its available over here yet

http://www.kregtool.com/deck-jig-and-screws-prodlist.html

I wouldn't go with stainless nails in a gun as cedar is quite soft and the gun will likely mark the wood.

Jason

Edit, yes its available here, about £75

Thanks Jason, I saw this online and thought it looked quite useful, then I read a few reviews that said it was :(.

I think face screwing stainless steel screws maybe the most obvious and safest method.

Wheres the best place to get these screws online?

Cheers
Leonne

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back