Cedar shingle roof... Have I messed up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I decided to build a playhouse for the kids and thought it would be a nice idea to put a cedar shingle roof on. I fixed the batons and nailed the shingles, leaving a 200mm overlap. All seemed to be going well until I finished one side and went inside to inspect. If I stand at a certain angle / height I can see the sky through small gaps which I can't see from the outside. I'm hoping that this isn't a major problem and that as the rain runs down it won't penetrate the gaps but I fear I'm being over optimistic. Can someone allay my fears or suggest a fix without ripping the whole lot off which I'm very reluctant to do because I think they would split. Can anyone help?!

Sponsored Links
not necessarily a problem it's quite common to be able to see chinks of light under slates and tiles. How long were the shingles. Simply put he bottom of each shingle should reach down past the top of the one two courses below it if that makes sense.

The best method of roofing with cedar shingles is to board the roof with OSB or ply, and then lay felt, and then nail the shingles.

Yes, I wish I had boarded the roof first but hopefully it'll be okay. I'll post when I've finished to let you know how waterproof it is

Sponsored Links
so long as you have enough headlap you should be fine, there were plenty of buildings roofed with shingles long before ply and roofing felt was invented.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back