ceiling downlight bulb change problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,i went to a freinds house recently and they asked me whilst i was there to change a couple of bulbs in the kitchen.they are the down light type in the ceiling.well i could not get into them for love or money.there isnt the horse shoe type of clip holding the glass in and the glass is wider than the chrome surround so that wont come out either.i thought that if i twist the surround that would come off then the glass will come out and i then could change the bulb,but on every light when i twist the surround the whole thing twists in the ceiling and i can hear the wires scraping on the surface of the ceiling.i told them as they were renting to call out the property maintenance to change them as i didnt want to break anything.well they came out and to change the bulb they had to remove the whole light out of the ceiling by using a screwdriver and their fingers and therefor the plaster on the sides of the hole scraped off and onto the floor then when they pushed it back more dust from the plaster.is this right that the whole light needs to come out? surely after changing the bulbs 3 or 4 times the hole will be too big for the light to stay in. if a granny wanted to change the bulb how the hell would she do it or any elder person for that matter. please help me with this as this doesnt seem right to me. thank you.

Sponsored Links
well first off you shouldnt need to use a screwdriver to get the light out fully!

But, I think I know the kind of DL you mean, I find if you push up and twist the cover it will help it come off without twisting the whole fitting.

Sounds like the spring clips are either a bit rubbish or not installed correctly if theyre not holding the light tight to the ceiling

ill give it a go next time im round.i thought it cant be right that the whole light needs to come out.

Sponsored Links
no it's not. They might have not been installed properly. This type typically need a quarter turn to release the lampholder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back