changing shower downlighter bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help me with a really stupid question.
I have halogen down lighters in my shower. One bulb has blown and i cant get into it to change the bulb! I try twisting it but the whole unit turns. Does the whole fitting come out the ceiling? I have tried it but it only seems to come out about half an inch. Im feeling very stupid asking this question so any help would be appricated.

Sponsored Links
it depends entirely on what fitting you have..

a photo of it would be a good start.. ;)

If it's a normal waterproof downlighter, then the front usually pulls off. Pull it directly downwards.

To remove a 230v lamp, push up as you twist counter clockwise. To remove a 12v lamp, just pull down (if you can get the grip). You can get a tool to grip the edges.

If you still need to remove the whole fitting, it will probably be one of two types: one with a spring on each side, which is moved by gently pulling downwards until it pulls out and the springs snap on your fingers.

Or, more likely, one with flexible steel lugs on the sides. With these, you need to twist the fitting (try it clockwise and counter clockwise) as you pull downwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back