Ceiling Joist connection to UB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new here, been using info from here for a while but can not find an answer to this so thought I would post

I am changing the layout in my newly purchased bungalow and part of this is knocking through two of the bedrooms in the rear to create a new kitchen dinner, wall is only supporting the ceiling. Having got the calcs done by SE and informed BC, I am ready to remove wall and install UB. As part of future proofing my SE has specified a UB which allows for upgrading the ceiling joists should we decide to put a dormer on it. So for now I want to install the UB 152x89 but keep the current 3x2 ceiling joists. Now here is where I am stuck, I can not find an exact answer to my question of how should I fix the joists to the UB so it is hidden above the ceiling.

I am currently thinking that I could fit the UB and fill the web with timber either side and then just fit steel joist hangers nailed into the timber. Then if we do the dormer, we would remove current ceiling joists, fit bigger and then notch them to fit the UB. Just don't want to do this and then BC come and say it is not correct.

Would you say this will be acceptable??

Sponsored Links
Yes drill the web of the beam and bolt timber packs to both sides of the beam, then support the joists on hangers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back