Another universal beam question

@op; why not weld 4 short lengths of angle (say 100 x 100 x 10) to the bottom flange. If they stuck out beyond the flange by - say - 175mm, that would give 75mm of bearing for the joists.

Sponsored Links
In other words, a massive joist hanger? How about making a hanger or four, out of 10mm steel and welding to both flanges?

I'm still not clear on why the longer joists can't be cut down.. Put an acrow underneath each and then carefully chainsaw the end off

(Pic of the existing building would be helpful)

I'm still not clear on why the longer joists can't be cut down.. Put an acrow underneath each and then carefully chainsaw the end off
Mainly because there's a finished warm roof deck above, extending to the ends of the joists, that we're reluctant to disrupt unnecessarily.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Why would it suffer if you removed 4 inches of joist end, and replaced those 4 inches with a UB?

@op; why not weld 4 short lengths of angle (say 100 x 100 x 10) to the bottom flange. If they stuck out beyond the flange by - say - 175mm, that would give 75mm of bearing for the joists.
One of my reasons for posting this was to discover if that sort of thing was allowable. Thanks.

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back