Ceiling lamp not working (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The ceiling light in my sitting room will not come on when switched on I have took off the switch and doesn't seem to be power the ceiling rose I seem to have power any ideas

Sponsored Links
How does it 'seem to have power', how have you determined that?

Provide some photo showing the wires, and wire colours of both the ceiling rose, and the switch.

I have tried with my mains tester and the switch no reaction but I got some at ceiling rose and is it the switch you need photos of as it's a awkward dismantling the light as it is kind of chandler

What type of mains tester, there are a great many types?

Photos at the switch will be a start, but we will eventually need those of the terminations at the ceiling, as that is the most likely cause of the problem.

When did it stop working, what were you doing to the circuit before it stopped working?

Sponsored Links
it happened when my grandson just tried to switch it on we rarely use the light but when we did no problems I will try to take a photo of the tester and I will have to get my grandson to help me do the clever stuff photo the wiring and send them to you if that's ok as soon as I can Harry

No the switch has been situated on the wall for years he just tried to put on the light

Have you thought that the lamp, (bulb), may have blown and needs replacing?

It is a chandler and bulbs ok I live in south Tyneside and a oap been ripped off by Sparky's in the past could anyone on this site recommend anyone

Has any work been done on any other light fittings or switches ,prior to the light in question ceasing to work ?
Showing us pics of your testing instrument and wiring at the switch ,as already requested, would be useful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back