Ceiling light 6 block connector

j03

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that this topic (loop in with switch and 3/6 block connector) has come up many times and the problem is usually that the red, black and yellow/green cables are connected together.

Let me set the scene, I have two cables coming from the rose, a mains and a switch, the light I have has a 6 block connector, two for N, two for E and two for L.

My original problem was that I tried all the ones (i thought) were L, N and E in the corresponding connectors resulting in lights on all the time. After this I removed the switch live (black with red tag) and taped it up as recommended by a friend. This resulted in the lights being on to start with, then when I flicked the switch the trip went and the switch itself went all funny (when I looked inside the switch the metal connector was stuck to the bottom bit of the switch).

I then turned to this forum, finding out that the switch live (red tag) should go to the light live, the switch red should join with the main red and be taped up, and the main black should go to the light neutral. I have joined the earths of both main and switch and stuck them in the lights earth connector holes. This results in no lights with switch in either position (although the other lights on the circuit work fine).

Did I blow the lights beyond repair in removing the switch live on my second attempt or am I missing something completely obvious.

And yes I do realise that I should have looked at the way it was originally set up but I didnt because, a) it was getting dark (stupid time to start dealing with electrics but eager girlfriend didnt help) and b) it just looked like a mess of wires that I just wanted to get undone fast to get the light down!

Sponsored Links
ok ok ok ok ok

EARTHS go to the EARTH TERMINAL

RED TAG wire goes to LIVE TERMINAL

PLAIN BLACK goes to NEUTRAL TERMINAL

ANY OTHER CORES (should be 2 reds) go to SEPERATE block, not connected to light at all.

Thanks for fast reply....

That's what I have! But it doesn't work...could I have destroyed it before by removing the red tag and leaving 2 reds in L, 1 black in N and two earths in E?

Sponsored Links
Ok....I was being stupid...for anyone who has the same problems reference I hadn't connected the red wires into a seperate connector, I simply taped them together thinking that it would be enough!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back