Ceiling Light Fitting Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched the existing posts but couldn't find one that solved my problem.

My bathroom is being refurbished (including reskimming the ceiling).

I have removed the current light fitting and have temporarily fitted a pendant fitting.

(No baths or showers taking place until after the refurb).

The bathroom has a dorma roof so I cannot access the wiring from above.

One of the cables in the loop has a broken earth wire that barely comes through the hole in the ceiling.

My idea is to fit some form of junction box (maintenance free maybe) that I can push into the void and have the 2 wires (or 3 if the fitting requires an earth) coming through.

What jb will fit the bill as it would be very congested?

It would have to have 4 sections and at least 2 of the sections would require 3 terminals

Live x 3

Earth x 3 (1 from this to light fitting if metal)

Neutral x 2 (1 from this to light fitting)

Switch Live x 1 (1 from this to light fitting)

Alternatively, could I use chock blocks with insulation tape over them as they would still be accessible if the new light fitting was removed. By the way I am thinking of a spotlight fitting with a large base in order for me to make the ceiling hole bigger and therefore more accessible.

Advice appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Choc block covered in PVC tape is a bodge. If you are going for a larger ceiling hole you'd have space for a 'traditional' junction box (the usual round ones which have more than enough space for your needs, are cheap and easy). Otherwise you're looking at Wagos with the proper enclosure.

EDIT While you're at it, reconfigure the JB so that you only need 1 3-core flex coming out to the light fitting (so the switching effectively happens in the JB. A piece of choc block INSIDE the JB not covered in PVC is fine.

Please advise if this wiring is correct?

I had followed a picture on here from an old thread using the exact same box, but I have since found different wiring examples on the web using standard junction boxes.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it looks correct.

You have the switch cable's Brown and Blue the other way round than is 'usual' but it doesn't matter.

Thanks EFL, yes it was the switch-live I noticed was different on the other pics but as long as it still does the correct action that's great. thank you for your response.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back