ceiling light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm seeking some advice on connecting new light fitting to a pair of ceiling cables. You can see the cables and the light fitting connections at the following URL

http://www.snapfish.co.uk/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=33770950/a=38121274_38121274/t_=38121274 (let me know if you can't open this - it may require you to register with Snapfish, unfortunately).

As you'll see, the 2 ceiling cables are 3-core, each housing a red, a black and a copper earth. The two blacks are identical and purely black.

The new light fitting comes with three 2-core cables, each cable housing a brown and a blue. These come connected to a 4-terminal block. From left to right, terminal 1 is empty, terminal 2 has the browns, terminal 2 has the earth, and terminal 4 has the blues.

The obvious question - how do I connect the wires in the ceiling cables to the terminal block, and do I need to move around the new light fitting connections?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
My best guess (I could only see one of your photos - the light fitting) - Connect the two reds together (use an empty way in the connector block to do this), then connect one of the blacks to the blues and one of the blacks to the browns. And, of course, all earths together.

One of the blacks will be the switched live. Check the For Reference section in the electrics forum if you want to understand what you've just done and/or to give you a bit of confidence that what I've said is right before you go do it.

Thanks - Can see it now.

One of the red/black pairs is the Live/Neutral from the lighting circuit (I think this light is at the end of the circuit). So the other red is the wire down to the light switch, and the other black is the switched live return from the switch.

The light fitting then wants to go between switched live and neutral. Probably no real need to get the multimeter out, unless you want a bit of a practice, and to identify the various lives, switched lives etc. If you were really feeling professional, stick a bit of red sleeving over the switched live

Sponsored Links
My pleasure :D

Thanks for the feedback. Always good to know I haven't killed someone !!

charlie1 said:
http://www.snapfish.co.uk/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=33770950/a=38121274_38121274/t_=38121274 (let me know if you can't open this - it may require you to register with Snapfish, unfortunately).
use a different image host then, theres plenty out there. I waited about 7seconds for the page to appear, i wasnt waiting any longer. Imageshack loads straight away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back