ceiling light, redundant earth ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i have a house built this year and i want to change the ceiling lights in the lounge. the existing lights are all earthed (grounded)

the lights ive bought have just a live and neutral connection.

the instructions are vague and say that i cant just leave the earth wire loose.

what do i do with the earth wire in the ceiling ??

Sponsored Links
If unsleeved, sleeve green/yellow and terminate them all together in a terminal block. It is important they are reconnected together to keep continuity throughout the rest of the lighting circuit.
They can then be left safely within the enclosure of the new light fitting.

Even if there's only one earth wire there, still terminate it in a connector block.

Check the new fitting has a double insulated symbol on it or on the instructions/packaging. Double insulated doesn't require an earth connection to the fitting. The symbol is a square inside a square.

The fitting is rated class 2 and symbol is a square within a square.

Just so in clear, if there's just one earth, I should just connect it into a junction box even if it isn't connected to any other wire?

Thanks for input !

Sponsored Links
A single earth/CPC should be sleeved green/yellow and terminated within a connector block. Then left safely within the enclosure of the fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back