Ceiling light wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A ceiling light failed and when I took it down I noticed a wire had come adrift. Easy enough to fix but the wiring looked odd. Left to right the wires from the ceiling are Black, Double Red, Black. They feed into blocks and in the same order the wires from the fitting are Brown, Green/Yellow, Blue. Is this OK? The fitting is metal.

Sponsored Links
Further investigation reveals what I presume is the earth cable from the light switch tucked away in the ceiling. Photo to reiterate - from ceiling Black, Double Red, Black (this one is still loose and was the one that had come adrift). From the fitting Brown, Green/Yellow, Blue.

light.jpg

Wow! Is that what it looks like?

The earth from the lamp should NOT be connected to the live Reds.

Further investigation reveals what I presume is the earth cable from the light switch tucked away in the ceiling.
There should be two; one from each cable to which the Green/Yellow from the lamp should be connected.

The loose wire should be connected to the blue from the lamp.

Sponsored Links
"Wow" Yes that was my immediate thought! So loose black to blue (as it was). And the other black as it already is to brown. Which leave me with the two reds. Should they be left as they are (secured in one of the unused blocks). When you say "there should be two" do you mean two earths from the ceiling? And earth to earth or if I get you right earth in the fitting to two earths from the ceiling (yet to be found). EDIT Second earth located.

Last edited:
Wow, I don't like it.

Move the earth to the spare right hand connector.

Put the black back in with the blue.

And find the earths in the ceiling and put those in with the earth cable (green and yellow)

Two reds together in their own and to nothing else.
Earth from the fitting to two earths from the two cables in the ceiling.

Also want to point out that when ELFI said:
The earth from the lamp should NOT be connected to the live Reds.
I'm not sure that you fully grasped the significance of what he was telling you, with it connected like that, the metal of the light would be live at 240v and that would be the case when when it was off at the wall switch. And so it would be at best very unpleasant come re-lamping time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back