Ceiling Light with metal case: No earthing point: Is it safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased two mains powered LED ceiling lights (Made in China). On arrival I noted they have a metal case and the interior has a metal "griddle pan" which presumably is a heat sink for the LED's. I had thought that any metal cased item should be capable of being earthed for safety...these do not! Are they safe? Do they conform to UK/Euro regulations?

Pictures attached.

Thanks in advance...
20180127_160536.jpg
20180127_160911.jpg

Sponsored Links
It does not appear to be double insulated and does not have the symbol - square within a square, so -

you could connect the earth wire to the bracket and ensure the fixing screws connect the bracket to the body.

I have purchased two mains powered LED ceiling lights (Made in China). On arrival I noted they have a metal case and the interior has a metal "griddle pan" which presumably is a heat sink for the LED's. I had thought that any metal cased item should be capable of being earthed for safety...these do not! Are they safe? Do they conform to UK/Euro regulations.
There is no indication that they are even claiming that it is 'double insulated', and it's hard to see that the unit as a whole could be by the time you had somehow connected the mains supply to that lead. As you say, that means that the metal parts should be earthed and, since they aren't, no, it would not be compliant with UK/EU regulations.

As for 'safe', that is to some extent a matter of opinion. However, the UK/EU requirement for it to be earthed is there in the interests of safety, so one shouldn't ignore that.

Did you but it via some UK 'source', or was it a 'direct import' from China?

Trading Standards might be interested.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: too slow, yet again!

Sponsored Links
via Amazon UK with supply "fulfilled by Amazon"on Prime.
Who was the seller?
'fulfilled by Amazon' just means some other seller sends there stuff to an Amazon warehouse in bulk, then when you buy it, Amazon send it to you.

The label is a farce Output DC72-96 50/60Hz How can DC have a frequency ?

And if the output is 50 or 60 Hz at 24 Watts then that transformer would need to be at least 4 times the size it i.

The label is a farce Output DC72-96 50/60Hz How can DC have a frequency ?
I suspect that is probably 'typographical', coupled with a lack of checking, perhaps perpetrated by people who couldn't read, or didn't understand, English ... the "50/60Hz" was probably meant to be associated with the input voltage (where it is missing).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back