Ceiling light with no earth

I don't really see anything in what has been written which suggests that anyone has doubted that there is a CPC available from the house wiring (if there isn't, that's a whole different problem!).

The main confusion seems to be that the OP was seemingly expecting a 'wire' (probably with G/Y insulation) for the 'earth' on the fitting side of the terminal block, so was confused when the connection was only by a metal tab (which he probably thought was just a mechanical fixing for the block).

Kind Regards, John
My initial reading of the thread last night interpretted correctly, as you have too, however just reading Risteards reply got my mind going and reread the whole thing again to find there is no mention of the existance of any green/yellow including the house wiring.

Even now I've introduced the tiniest element of doubt if I read
(if there isn't, that's a whole different problem!)
correctly.

It wouldn't have been the first time we've missunderstood the situation and given incorrect advice.
Hi John
Yes you are correct! I was expecting a green/yellow wire and wasn’t familiar with the white metal tab.
This is my first time posting here and v impressed how helpful you’ve all been!
Thank you
Sally
Thank you for the clarification. Hopefully you are now happy to proceed.

Sponsored Links
Yes. Thank you very much Sunray. It’s very much appreciated that you’ve looked at it from all angles. Pleased to say I definitely have the yellow/green wire in the house and now feel comfortable to wire the light up.
thanks again
Sally

My initial reading of the thread last night interpretted correctly, as you have too, however just reading Risteards reply got my mind going and reread the whole thing again to find there is no mention of the existance of any green/yellow including the house wiring.
Fair enough, but I still don't think that we had any reason to think that the house wiring didn't have a CPC/earth. After all, if there hadn't been once, after we had explained to her which of the terminals was for the earth (and how that terminal was connected to the fitting), if she hadn't had a CPC/earth in the supply cable, she would presumably then have been asking what she was meant to connect to the terminal, wouldn't she?
It wouldn't have been the first time we've missunderstood the situation and given incorrect advice.
That's true - but, as above, rightly or wrongly, in this case I didn't perceive any significant chance that we had misunderstood.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In post 1 the Op ended with "Thanks Sally" :) Ok, you realised later on though
As you say, I subsequently noticed :)

Mind you, how certain can you be? Quite recently, I discovered that a "Shirley <something>" I had been exchanging work e-mails with for weeks/months was, contrary to my assumption, actually male :)

Kind Regards, John

Most Sallys are. However, so are most Shirleys - but, as I wrote, I recently discovered that such is not inevitable :)

Kind Regards, John
The wrestler Big Daddy was Shirley and I think Crabtree.

One of the BT offices I used to deal with on a daily basis had a Shirley of both formats and a Lesley & Leslie. Another office had 2 Kims. A family, Husband Turkish & wife German had a Kerim & Kerime and of course we all know about :

The wrestler Big Daddy was Shirley and I think Crabtree. ...
Mr Wikipedia agrees with you ...
Shirley Crabtree (14 November 1930 – 2 December 1997), better known as Big Daddy, was an English professional wrestler ....
One of the BT offices I used to deal with on a daily basis had a Shirley of both formats and a Lesley & Leslie.
... and, although Lesley/Leslie are spelt differently, so as usually to reduce potential confusion, I have a female neighbour who is Leslie!

One thing I didn't mention about the male Shirly I recently encountered is that I also did not know until recently that he is of African origin - and there seem to be a lot of first names in that continent which are pretty alien to what we are used to.

Kind Regards, John

I have quite a lot of African friends and colleagues (not the least of whom was my Best Man, many decades ago!) and many of them come with first names which are totally outside of our familiarity (as forenames) in the UK - to name a few ... Thursday. Convenience, Sunrise and Enterprise - and I don't think any Brit would do very well at correctly guessing the genders of any of them from their names :)

Kind Regards, John

When working in Africa I had a colleague called Excellence & I knew of someone called Charge Office because they were born in police station

When working in Africa I had a colleague called Excellence & I knew of someone called Charge Office because they were born in police station
Which reminds me of a joke...

"Big chief Buffalo, Can I ask you a question?"
"Yes of course you can little one."
"How do we get our names?"
"Oh that's easy. When you are born, your father takes you from the teepee and the first thing he see's is your name. So I became Buffalo and your mother became Running Water."
"Oh I see."
"Does that make sense Two Dogs F******?"

Which reminds me of a joke... "Oh that's easy. When you are born, your father takes you from the teepee and the first thing he see's is your name. So I became Buffalo and your mother became Running Water." ...
Although that evolves into a joke, it's probably also a fairly close approximation to what has happened in many cultures, particularly in the past - and we even see some of it happening close to home today (and even more so in relation to the naming of pets). In terms of the four examples I quoted, I imagine that Thursday and Sunrise probably relate to the circumstances of the birth.

Kind Regards, John

Although that evolves into a joke, it's probably also a fairly close approximation to what has happened in many cultures, particularly in the past - and we even see some of it happening close to home today (and even more so in relation to the naming of pets). In terms of the four examples I quoted, I imagine that Thursday and Sunrise probably relate to the circumstances of the birth.

Kind Regards, John
and don't forget many of our surnames originated from occupations such as Smith, Baker, Brewer, Cooper etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back