Earth for outside light fitting...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently got a replacement outside light, but when I came to fit it came across a couple of problems. Firstly, I have an earth wire, but no earth terminal on the light fitment to attach it to... The instructions that came with the light had no mention of an earth, and only shows live and neutral in the diagram. Secondly, whoever did the electrics on my house used the same colour of flex for the live and neutral. So I've got 2 red wires and an earth.

Assuming I can figure out which is live using a mains tester screwdriver and wire it up, what do I do with the earth? The light has a metal housing.

Thanks in advance...

Sorry if this is basic stuff, but I don't want to be the first barbeque of the summer if I wire something up wrong... :confused:

Sponsored Links
when you say the light has a metal housing - i assume you mean that the casing that protects the terminations is metal? in which case the light should have a place where it can be earthed. in the case of a fault developing the metal housing could become live and to touch it would become dangerous.

if the light was fully plastic then the casing would not become live. in this case the earth should be terminated into a piece of connector strip and left in the housing - for testing purposes and incase there came a time where another light would be fitted there that required the earth.

if you are still unsure /cannot find an earthing terminal in your light, i suggest getting a sparky in to have a look for you. hope that helps

Bright_Spark said:
when you say the light has a metal housing - i assume you mean that the casing that protects the terminations is metal? in which case the light should have a place where it can be earthed. in the case of a fault developing the metal housing could become live and to touch it would become dangerous.
If the light is genuinely double insulated, then the fact that it is made of metal on the outside is irrelevant.

beepencil - is this a pukka product, CE marked etc? Does the light, or the instructions, or the packaging say that it is double insulated, or carry the DI symbol of two concentric squares?

If so, just fit it, making the earth core safe with sleeving and a piece of choc-block if there is room, if not by using an over-length sleeve and bending the earth core back on itself.

Do not be tempted to cut the earth back, in case you or a future occupant needs it for a light that is not double insulated..

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The entire housing is metal. At the minute I've got the earth screwed onto the little tin plate that the plastic bulb housing is attached to (as shown in the diagram by the red arrow), as this seems to be as close to the way it was in the light that I removed. The previous light had a plastic housing though.

1692dzo.jpg

I poked at the housing with a mains tester when the light was on and nothing happened.

It must be a foreign lamp or something, as there's no earth shown in the diagram...

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Where did you buy it?

It should be CE marked, and it should bear the appropriate DI symbol if it has no provision for an earth. If its not got both of those return it.

And if it isn't meant to be earthed you should not bodge an earth connection onto it.

ban-all-sheds said:
beepencil - is this a pukka product, CE marked etc? Does the light, or the instructions, or the packaging say that it is double insulated, or carry the DI symbol of two concentric squares?

I didn't notice any symbols like that on the box, but it's from Habitat, so I presume it's alright.

So do I just bend the earth back out of the way and wrap a bit of tape around it, did I understand you right? (not sure what 'choc-bloc' is... :oops: )

Cheers

beepencil said:
I didn't notice any symbols like that on the box, but it's from Habitat, so I presume it's alright.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Phone their customer services up and ask them why they are selling products that are unsuitable for installation in the UK. Its a simple bulkhead light. We have one in a walk-in fridge at work, maybe a couple of quid from B&Q for one that complies with regs. How much did your non-compliant one cost?

beepencil. I fitted a light the other day from habitat. (customer supplied it) The same one as the top left in your picture.

The one I fitted has a double insulated symbol on it.

Looks like this

5.20b.gif

There isn't an earth terminal because you don't connect the earth.

Just because its Habitat it still doesnt mean the fitting is Pukka UK standard. Clearly if there are no symbols on the fitting then they have just bought some cheap fittings with a high mark up for profit. The buying department probably have no knowledge of what complies and what doesnt but I'll say this..........If I came across a non DI marked metal light fitting that had a non used earth in a con block Id make sure I earthed it, either by drilling and fitting an M4 brass screw/washer and nut or utilising an existing fixing after all theres no question it should be earthed.

Job_n_knock said:
Just because its Habitat it still doesnt mean the fitting is Pukka UK standard. Clearly if there are no symbols on the fitting then they have just bought some cheap fittings with a high mark up for profit. The buying department probably have no knowledge of what complies and what doesnt but I'll say this..........If I came across a non DI marked metal light fitting that had a non used earth in a con block Id make sure I earthed it, either by drilling and fitting an M4 brass screw/washer and nut or utilising an existing fixing after all theres no question it should be earthed.

you mean you wouldnt tell the customer that the light fitting they have supplied doesnt come upto scratch, therefore you highly recommend they get one thats suitable (and top of the range)...then proceed to show them a product that you can supply and fit for an 'all in price'? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back