Earth in the light fitting cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pendant light fitting, & the instructions seem to tell me to ignore the earth coming from the celling rose & wire the one in the fitting to the fitting itself. My instinct tells me to ire live to live, neutral to neutral & earth to earth. But should I do as instructed?

Sponsored Links
how can you connect an earth if there is no terminal for it. most pendnat fittings have no earth. and please dont tell me its in a bathroom

it is not in the bathroom

There is an earth coming from the celling & there is one from the fitting, should I connect them together or connect the one from the fitting to the fitting?

picture or web ref to the light fitting would help. picture posting in fo is in forum information.

seems odd that light has earth terminal but instrcutions say dont use it

Sponsored Links
ts not a great drawing, but there is no point in connecting the earth tag from the pendant lamp, unless its then earthed through the lighting cable.

You need to connect both earths to that earth screw to ensure a continuous earth.

That of course assumes your lighting circuit is correctly earthed, but I assume you are replacing an existing fitting - Was the old fitting plastic? If so you should consider whether there really is an earth (rather than just assuming that an earth wire coming from the ceiling is connected to anything). How old is the installation?

But assuming its recent wiring and properly done, then connecting both earths to that screw is all you need to do.

Gavin

Does the fitting have the double insulated symbol on it?

(A square within a square).

securespark said:
Does the fitting have the double insulated symbol on it?

(A square within a square).

Almost certainly not double insulated as it has an earth lead in the 3 core lead from the bulbs to the terminal and has a 250 watt lamp. The metal plate will need to be earthed as it has a live terminal block fitted to it with a steel wire supporting the lamp.

It also assumes a deep ceiling rose with space for a terminal block (this is common in Germany)

Thank you everyone it is now up. What was really confusing me was why, as in the previous metal fitting an earth to earth connection was not advised. As there is no easy way of telling if the lamp is earthed or not I hope the arrangement of earth to earth both in the earthing screw will cover all bases (the original fitting was installed by an electrician about 12 years ago) due to the nature of the fitting it is likley to have more contact with people than is usual!

Thanks again for all your help.

(I any of you think we are in trouble please let us know,-we have taken note of the dusting!)

copticking said:
As there is no easy way of telling if the lamp is earthed or not...

There is a very easy and, for an electrician, essential, means of verifying earthing by measuring the earth fault loop impedance. I'm willing to bet the 'electrician' who installed the previous light didn't do this.

Okay, it's only a light, but then adding a socket, well, it's only a socket, isn't it. After a few such 'minor' alterations the integrity of the circuit earthing on many installations is often lost and difficult to fault-find. I'm not saying you should get it tested and certified and have a periodic inspection carried out on the whole property. No, not me.

It's the Institution of Engineering and Technology who write the regulations who say that. ;)

I'm sure it will be fine...

...but without testing, who can say?

Ah to hell with it, it's only a light, everybody else does it.

But on the other hand, what if there is a problem?

(Sorry, got a bit good-cop-bad-cop there for a moment!) :D :D :D

copticking said:
...we have taken note of the dusting...

The dusting won't be a problem. You'll have realised your horrendous fashion mistake and got rid of it long before dust becomes an issue! :D

airduster.jpg
;) ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back