ceiling lights

thanks for the reply mate this is the answer i was looking for not the childish answer of use candles
You asked for a cheap way out, I offered you one.
Just because it was not the answer you were looking for hardly makes it childish.
Do you know how long it will take to build up your diy guards?
As I also value time to, do you? You may find you wished you had bought ready made ones.
In fact if you had used your noggin in the first place and bought appropriate lights you would not be here to get childish answers.
Still not answered about bathroom though, you could have lots of issue regarding them in there.

so you say it was'nt a childish answer then you say " here to get childish answers" make your mind up

i have plenty of time to do things which has nothing to do with what was asked
i guess you are know as mr wright as you always have to be right[/b]

Sponsored Links
i guess you are know as mr wright as you always have to be right
no far from it!
But you seem to think you have now been given your ideal answer, that is going to resolve your problem regarding covering the lights.
So forgive me for asking, a few questions just in case you may think I am being childish.
You are going to box these lights in, you could be creating a heat build up within these enclosures.
What type of downlights do you have? and what type of cables are connected to them?
How are the cables run and terminated?
I ask this because you maybe preventing heat loss, but you may also be creating a fire hazard and again what type of lights are installed within your bathroom?
You will find when you come here for answers to questions, some of us feel that we should consider the safety of your property, family, pets and that of your neighbours too. Even if you don't!
So it's not always as simple as you looking for someone to give the answer you are wanting to hear.

But are the cables heat resistant or heat protected or just standard T&E.
These type of lights can dissipate quite a lot of heat upwards and problems can arise from the insulation of cables failing.

Sponsored Links
they are linked to each other using supplied cable to the transformer then t&e to the junction box which is about 24' from the actual lights

Have the transformers got plenty ventilation and free from insulation?
Of what type are the junction boxes and are they easily accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing ?

Providing the tranys are well ventilated, which sounds like they are and JBs are visible and accessibly which also sounds like they are, there are no T&E cables within close proximity of hot lamps and the cable that is, is suitable for for high temperature rise.
I would be happy to say it sounds in good order.

cheers for the link mate was looking for a cheap way as i have 30 to cover
Including wall lights and bedside lamps and desk task lighting I have less than that for my entire house.

Did it never occur to you that you had chosen lights which were deliberately designed to be unsuitable for what you wanted them to do?

when i have boxed them in i was going to put a few holes in the top to let the heat out
I'm gobsmacked that you can't see the stupidity of thinking that you can prevent heat loss by providing a path for heat loss.

You have to build structures large enough to not need any ventilation, you have to make them a sealed construction and you have to seal them to the ceilings. This is particularly important in rooms where a lot of water vapour is created, such as bathrooms and bedrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back