Ceiling paper adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Not my usual department but I wonder if anyone can help. We have a very old cottage, most of the interior has been renewed in the 40+ years we have been here except one bedroom ceiling, this is the only one left with lathe and plaster construction.

In the last few years we have had plumbing leaks which have soaked this ceiling on two occaisions, on the first one although the years of accumulated paper came away we managed to stick it back but since the second leak we have repapered but it won't stick to the ceiling, it keeps coming away in strips, I think this is because the plaster is seperating and coming off with the paper, can anyone suggest an adhesive which will penetrate the plaster and keep the paper on and plaster together. It is only the thinest layer of plaster that's coming away, you can only just see it on the paper.

I know that the whole ceiling needs renewing but I can't plasterboard it as the joists are so bowed and I don't at the moment have the inclination to replace them. We use this room for B&B so would like it not to have suspended ceiling paper, can onyone help?

Thanks

Peter

Sponsored Links
If its only sticking back patches try border adhesive, be mindful that one day you will probably decide to strip it all off so don't do anything daft like use PVA. Tub paste is a bit stronger as well and most manufacturers do a stronger paste as well as ordinary strength. Apply a thinned paste solution (size) to the area first will also help, let it dry and then re-stick your patches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back