ceiling plasterboard noggin spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi hope you are well.

i am making a new ceiling under a lath and plaster one. it is 2.4m x 1.13m so not massive...

i have made a timber frame around the perimiter of the area.

1) which thickness plasterboard do i use
2)do i need noggins, if so at what spacing please.

thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Given you could use a single piece, I'd personally stick one noggin in the middle.

If you will be using smaller bits of board, then you maybe need 3.

I'd go for 12.5mm

oh great, just one? i was thinking 10! thats great!

im gonna make a star ceiling (it'll be above the bath if ever get that far down the line....)so will be using one single piece.

Sponsored Links
do you think a 1cm difference between the height at each of the long ends is too much or am i worrying about nothing?

As long as the short edge of each board meets on one of your new joists then you shouldn’t need any additional noggins unless I’m missing something
Re the 1cm difference, it’s your ceiling so depends how much it’ll get noticed/how ocd you are.

If you mean what I think you mean i’d want 7 in total at 40cm centres

sorry ! maybe im not explaining correctly or using the word noggin incorrectly -

i currently have a rectangle of wood that is 2.4m x 1.13m on the ceiling.

i want to put a single sheet of 12.5mm plasterboard on it.

do i need to make it into a "ladder", if so how many rungs?

I'd run two joists/battens long ways, assuming you can either fix them to the old ceiling or make them deep enough to support from their ends.

How deep is your perimeter frame?

actually, theres something i havent thought of. i have to have a a gap between the old and new ceiling other wise i wont be able to run the fibre optic across the "noggins". theres no gap at all between the noggins and the old ceiling with the way i am doing it now.

i will have to run new battons underneath the frame i have put up (so the ceiling is now 69mm lower than it would have been).

so should i run across short axis or long axis? and what spacing? by the time i have put in a stud wall on one of the long sides the total width of the ceiling will be about 95 cm

sorry to change everything, i just had a flash...

Noggins are to stiffen joists. You don't need them on an overcladding frame.

Why form a frame anyway when you can just overboard the existing ceiling? o_O

the ceiling is textured in that 70's swirly way, and it is seriously not straight in 2 dimensions, like 10cm out at the long end and a 6 on the short. i also need a gap so i can run fibre optic cable over whatever the plaster board is attached to

is there a reason i cant use ply? would need less supports as stiffer? every time i have a support beam / batton it means i can t put a fibre optic cable in that bit of the ceiling that is occluded, so i want as few blank spots as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back