ceiling plasterboard noggin spacing

As above theoretically you can have 600mm centres for plasterboard so one down the middle would be ok, that's how they set out trussed roofs, but 400 centres would be more resistant to sagging.
I would use packers either cut with a chop saw or the ones for windows between the timbers and the ceiling in order to take out the worst of the out of level. If you really want some precision you can resort to folding wedges but that would only apply if you have laser vision like superman;)
Also think about how you're going to get it up there, i managed a similar size room on my own in two pieces but if you're using one piece think about logistics getting the board in place with you and lifting all that weight and screwing it in. Full size Shower panels i struggled and that was with only having studded out half the room so i could get them in easily.

Sponsored Links
should be about 450mm centres by the time i have built a stud next to it. so one down the middle is fine .

im only lifting 1 piece of 12mm in place , 900 x 2400. shouldnt be too heavy?

im only lifting 1 piece of 12mm in place , 900 x 2400. shouldnt be too heavy?
come back afterwards and repeat that!:LOL:
It's not the weight on its own that's a problem, it'll be less than 20kg. The problem is you have a lot of stages to get through and you will need to do a bit of thinking through and planning. You have to get it cut to size, then get it into the room at floor level, then lift it up and prop it suitably without dropping it on your head, even though there may be no space left for your fingers, then you have to get a load of screws into it in the right places before you unprop.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but my situation was easier and I still struggled because it was my first time!

Sponsored Links
my thinking is:

cut board to size.

figure out where wood supports are- they should be dead straight and i can tell where they are when board is up by putting markers on wall, there are only 1 at each edge and 1 in middle, all on long edge.

drill fibre holes

paint board

stick fibres through, and cable route them

get a few friends to help support board , whilst i go up to loft to pull fibre bundle through hole in old ceiling.

come back down from loft.

present board to new wood joists using friends to lift it

screw board to wood.

paint over screws.

cut fibres

any thoughts?

my thinking is:

cut board to size.

figure out where wood supports are- they should be dead straight and i can tell where they are when board is up by putting markers on wall, there are only 1 at each edge and 1 in middle, all on long edge.

drill fibre holes

paint board

stick fibres through, and cable route them

get a few friends to help support board , whilst i go up to loft to pull fibre bundle through hole in old ceiling.

come back down from loft.

present board to new wood joists using friends to lift it

screw board to wood.

paint over screws.

cut fibres

any thoughts?
The paint might fill the holes, they are only 1mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back